Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is $300 every 2 weeks ALOT for grocerys for 4 people?

Dh wants me to try and make it smaller..its not always straight $300, sometimes $250.

He's been SUCH a penny pincher lately. Its annoying. We have plenty, he just wants to be sure were fine once we start building. But I think our list is pretty good. We don't shop at save a lot or anything like that cause the ones near us are dirty, and dh is really picky about brands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Replies (261-270):
fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

We spend $700-$800 a month for a family of 6.

nayg
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

thats about how much we spend and I use coupons! my husband eats for 3 people though lol.

FoxFire363
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Lol, I spend about 150, 200 at the most every two weeks for a family of four. And that includes pet food for five pets and household items like TP and detergent. So yes, IMO you are spending way too much. However, the prices may be higher in your area than they are in mine. 

notdown4games
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM
I spend 340-370 a month on groceries for 4 people(grocery budget is dependent on electric and water bill fluctuation, so some months its 340ish. Some its closer to 4). I would have so much food left over if I had 600 a month for groceries lol. the extra 200 would go to things for the kids,toiletries, and other things for the house
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof4boyz1girl
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM
I spend about that much for seven people...maybe a little more give or take. If he wants to spend less then he needs to get over the brand name thing. I admit there are some things that I have to have brand name but there are also lots that I will buy off brand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jess311
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM

i am in indiana, i have a family of 5 and spend 300 every two weeks, sometimes a little more and i shop at walmart almost always, i just feel like its the cheapest with the most selection and i love great value brand, it is one of the only generics that sometimes taste better than regular name brand...great value lasagna is ammmaazziingg!!! lol :)

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting jenn4443:

It can be done. I have done it.

Quoting 1mommy2him:

Yep

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

For 4 people?

Quoting 1mommy2him:

To me that is a lot because I can spend under 100 for a month

Yes because you can feed 4 people ( assuming older kids ) for .29 a meal.

This slays me. That is $25 per week. or  3.57 per day.  Which gives you .29 per meal.

So let's see  Loaf of bread at aldi's .99- 2 slices of toast .10

Gallon of milk at Aldis 2.29  8 ounces is                             .13 cents

Eggs at aldis .99 a dozen                   one egg                    .08

that is .31 cents-and you are OVER budget for that meal!

No one ever says how they do it-except buy in bulk-coupon. I haven't seen a damned coupon for milk or eggs in ages, nor meat. And I call BS on saving enough on coupons to buy what else you need on under.30  per meal.

I would love for some of them to come on and explain how they feed their families for 29cents or less per person per meal. 

Tea4Tas
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting jenn4443:

Quoting 1mommy2him:

Yep

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

For 4 people?

Quoting 1mommy2him:

This slays me. That is $25 per week. or  3.57 per day.  Which gives you .29 per meal.

No one ever says how they do it-except buy in bulk-coupon. I haven't seen a damned coupon for milk or eggs in ages, nor meat. And I call BS on saving enough on coupons to buy what else you need on under.30  per meal.

I would love for some of them to come on and explain how they feed their families for 29cents or less per person per meal. 

Oh it's always coupons and buying in bulk.  How's that work?  Let's see I have $25 this week. Canned veggies are on sale for .25 a can-so I buy a 100 cans...THEN WHAT THE HELL DOES YOUR FAMILY EAT-YOU JUST BLEW THE GROCERY MONEY ON 100 CANS OF VEGGIES!

Sunshine257
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:07 AM
No it isn't alot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting jenn4443:

Quoting 1mommy2him:

Yep

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

For 4 people?

Quoting 1mommy2him:

Oh it's always coupons and buying in bulk.  How's that work?  Let's see I have $25 this week. Canned veggies are on sale for .25 a can-so I buy a 100 cans...THEN WHAT THE HELL DOES YOUR FAMILY EAT-YOU JUST BLEW THE GROCERY MONEY ON 100 CANS OF VEGGIES!

The only time I've seen anyone break it down was on another board and she fed her kids crap. A typical breakfast was high sugar cereal, lunch Ramen noodles and dinner 2 cheap boxes of mac and cheeses with 1/2 a package of hotdogs cut up in it along with a head of iceberg lettuce and a little salad dressing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN