Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

The school is MAKING us buy new SHOES for our 2nd grader!!!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM
  • 75 Replies
1 mom liked this
Our 7 year old started school yesterday and today he comes home and tells us that they need to have brand new never worn shoes to use only for PE because we have a newer gym. We already bought him a new pair of school shoes and new clothes which I don't have an issue with. They can't use the old gym for PE though so we don't have to buy another pair of shoes JUST to be used for a 2nd graders PE class? We can afford the $20 to go out and buy a cheap pair of Walmart tennis shoes but it just seems rediculus. You know some of those parents can't even afford new school clothes when you see the grubby stuff they come in so how the heck are they suppose to afford a new pair of PE shoes?
K, rant over...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

we always had this.Thankfully we were told way before of the beginning of school.

BlessedMommyNE
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM
My son was told today that they needed them by Monday because that's when they have their first PE.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

we always had this.Thankfully we were told way before of the beginning of school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

That's stupid. They can't protect that gym forever. So they have to buy brand new shoes that can only be worn in school in that gym right? That's crazy and I don't think they can make you do that.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Sooner or later the gym will be less than perfect and I doubt previously worn sneakers are going to be the ones to kill it.

Quoting Sportbominable:

That's stupid. They can't protect that gym forever. So they have to buy brand new shoes that can only be worn in school in that gym right? That's crazy and I don't think they can make you do that.

BlessedMommyNE
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Yep, we have to buy shoes just to be used during PE in that gym. Stupid when we have another gym that they should just use.

Quoting Sportbominable:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whowhat
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM
That's dumb. I hope my kids school doesn't do that when he shows up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PestPatti
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM

The school didnt sent home "paperwork" about that with your son, or prior to .. 

Quoting BlessedMommyNE:

Yep, we have to buy shoes just to be used during PE in that gym. Stupid when we have another gym that they should just use.

Quoting Sportbominable:

MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I'd be annoyed.  Ds12 has horribly flat feet.  20 dollar shoes don't cut it for him.  Try 44 dollar  high top Nikes for him to get the proper support.  Then he'd have to switch his foot orthotics from one shoe to the other. So switch for gym, switch back for the rest of the day. I'd probably be down there at the school complaining if it were me.  I'd be getting a doctor's note, lol.  And wth they don't believe in wax cleaner and a broom for the gym floor?

Nikkij-j
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Our schools do this too.  They have to keep a pair of shoes at school and wear a different pair to and from school.    

Numom61507
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM
3 moms liked this

It had nothing to do with money. It's the principle of the whole thing. That's a bit absurd! Your tax dollars went towards the new gym floor anyways so they can take the new shoes idea and shove it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)