Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

would you pay this much for this?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok so i found an awesome idea to do for my homemade candles. I can add a picture and words to them. would be great christmas ideas or baby shower/birthday. They are 2in by 3.5 inch. Homemade and of course scented. They would be sold for $5 each due to the price of ink. is that a fair price for something that would be really personalized? 

*****Yes i touched it before it was dry so it got a little messed up. Obviously if it was being sold to a customer it would not be like this but wanted to show it off still as i love the idea

by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Replies (41-50):
nicole6870
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Once you get it perfected I think $5 is more than fair. Honestly I think you're selling yourself short.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NumbaHumbaVII
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

This. Perfect it and you can sell higher. Homemade candles and getting it personalized with a picture is a wonderful gift idea! 

Quoting nicole6870:

Once you get it perfected I think $5 is more than fair. Honestly I think you're selling yourself short.

maria295447
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM
I just you tube how to do this :) going to make some during the week! and i yes i think 5 is a good price ..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM
I wouldn't buy it because I can do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaDarling
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Ignore the rude responses.  Don't let it bring you down.  You have a great idea for a product.  If you can tweak it and make sure it turns out as something that you yourself would buy, then you definitely have a product you can sell.  People love personalized products.  Make sure you are covering your costs and making the profit you need.  Thank you for sharing it, and good luck.  You will probably sell a lot for the holiday season.  

Quoting C8linVilla:

Not really sure why you are being rude. My camera does not take good pics in the light when its dark out. where my lights are places i can not get a decent pic. so i went outside and took the pic. its not anything to say hey this is my beautiful candle because i already said it was ruined. Its simply a picture i took to show you the idea i tried out..... here is the picture when i took it inside..

Quoting kcook55:

how much do you know about photography? None? You dont need a flash to take a good product photo. A flash will leave a huge shadow and than it looks like crap. The only time a use ny flash is when um doing a flash fill outside

Quoting C8linVilla:

Quoting kcook55:

When the one of your kids look like crap no one is really going to want to buy iy. Its like would you want a 2 yr old to take your families picture that you send to all your friends and family for christmas? No you would want a professional photographer to take them. You also need to take better product photos

Quoting C8linVilla:

and as i already said in the post it is a mess up. i also said obviously the ones for sale would be perfect. i meant is the price fair for the idea not that actual candle since i would never sell random strangers candles with my own childrens faces on it...

Quoting LoveMyGirls0811:

nope, sorry it looks like crap

its the first one i made. yes it will look like crap.... and i said that in the OP that it did.... and that is not my product photo its simply a picture i took to show what it is... My flash is broken so i had to go outside to take the picture

When I'm not hanging out at Cafe Mom I can usually be found HERE...

You can grab a gift from me that will help you change your future HERE ...

you rock

Charleereno
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM
I've seen similar for $15-$20, $5 would be really cheap! I think you could go a little higher, but try the $5 to see how well they sell.
nerdwithwords87
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Wow. Yes! I think that is a great price! Very cute!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnoBuny
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Sticking an actual photo inside the candle isn't the best idea. The photo is flammable, if it caused a fire you could be held liable, especially when you don't have a proper, legal, safety warning.
You'd have to find a better way.
You also need to treat the candles and adjust your temp so it's not so cloudy, you need to be able o see the photo.
Your wax shouldn't be so cloudy.
Not a terrible idea but you need to make adjustments.
C8linVilla
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Its not a picture in a candle, i do have proper legal safety labels and its cloudy because of the angle. I can not get a good pic of it not cloudy but in person its much brighter colors and much clearer

Quoting SnoBuny:

Sticking an actual photo inside the candle isn't the best idea. The photo is flammable, if it caused a fire you could be held liable, especially when you don't have a proper, legal, safety warning.
You'd have to find a better way.
You also need to treat the candles and adjust your temp so it's not so cloudy, you need to be able o see the photo.
Your wax shouldn't be so cloudy.
Not a terrible idea but you need to make adjustments.

Pnukey
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM

It's cute. I'd buy it for grandparents, but agree with others that it would never get burned. $5 is reasonable for something that will sit on a shelf forever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN