Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is three and a half too young for an allowance?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM
  • 24 Replies

We have been teaching DS about money. 

I think an allowance would be a good way to help with that... paired with a sticker chart.

Every row of stickers = a dollar... I think a row/week where he can earn a sticker daily if he's been good... that would be a dollar a week which would be perfect, he can buy a new hotwheel at the store with his own money

IDK... DH and I have been tossing around the idea, and just wanted your input if its a good idea for his age...

I don't think he will "get" it right away, but that is what us teaching him is for right?

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Snapdragon88
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

My son is 4 and I don't see any reason for him to have an allowance yet. I have no idea when we'll start that. But if you want to... I don't see any harm.

Beauty91805
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM
If you and your husband feel that you want to start now then you should . There's definitely nothing wrong with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steph_hailee
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM
No. My 3yr old and 5yr old get an allowance for doing their chores. They get a dollar a week. And they usually spend it that weekend for an ice cream from the ice cream truck. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM
You are the parent. It's up to you what you want for your household. I wouldn't care what others thought in decisions like this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvem630
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM
I think that is a great idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emelymac
by Emely on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM

We don't give our children allowances. But, you need to do whatever you think is best for your child. 

metalhealthmom
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM
my son doesn't get a weekly allowance but he can earn money for things. like, if he sees a toy or something he wants, i'll find him something to do so he can earn money for it.

most recently, he earned money to pay for himself to see Ice Age 4. It took like, two week, lol.

i'm not a big fan of weekly allowances but that might change when my son is older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charleereno
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a great idea! Not too young. And it will be even more exciting when he realizes that stupid green paper mommy keeps giving him can be used to buy new toys.
evelynolivesmom
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I don't think so, we're starting dd with an allowance when she turns 4.

anyotherday
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Is there any specific reason you don't? Just wondering... I know that it is a very personal choice so you dont have to answer, just looking for other perspectives :)

Quoting emelymac:

We don't give our children allowances. But, you need to do whatever you think is best for your child. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN