Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

well thats the last straw I'm pulling my kids from that school asap.

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM
  • 273 Replies
3 moms liked this

I found out today that monday the first day of school no parents are allowed on campus before and after school I'm expected to drop my kids off at the gate and leave I cant walk my 6 year old to her class room they are not doing a meet the teacher day or anything I'm supposed to drop my kid off and say "Bye good luck finding your class!!" I am not ok with this I have always walked my kids to class on their first day and introduced myself to the teachers and I walk them to class for as long as they want me too. If there is a problem with homework or something going on in my kids life then this gives me the opportunity to mention it to the teacher in person for instance when my Nana passed away last year the kids first day back I went to all the kids teachers and told them what happened gave them my cell number and told them to call me if needed. I don't see how cutting off all parent teacher interaction is good for the kids at all they are a very low achieving school anyway and need to get parents involved. So i just filled out the app online for a charter school its a little farther to walk and I'm sad to move the kids away from their friends but when a school is not parent friendly I don't want my kids going there. I have been thinking about moving them for the past year but the friend situation held me back, I guess the principal just made my decision for me too bad I'm taking to high achieving gifted kids from their school that's not going to help their precious test scores. I just found out that at least 6 families from this school have already moved their kids so they will know a few kids there and in 3rd and 1st grade they can make new friends fairly easily

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meparty
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:20 PM
3 moms liked this

I did not get to meet my kids teachers  for middle schoo, only the principal.  They will have back to school night and curriculum night.  Sounds like you are jumping the gun.  Can you call the school? Find out if there is a meet and greet at all, and ask why you cant walk her.  Maybe they feel it will be too much for the first day.  what grade is she going into? Our school did that ONLY for kindergartens, cause then EVERY parent who wants to bring their kids in, has to get an I D badge, at least at ours.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM
4 moms liked this

i would not be a happy camper if my childrens school pulled that stunt

I love having an open line of communication with the teacher

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Did they have an orientation proir to school starting? Did you miss it? Seems they would do that and then eliminate parents the first day to limit the choas that ensues when the first day happens!

OkieMommyOf6
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

yea i wouldnt let that fly either. when they have that kind of thing set up it makes the school look like they are hiding something. luckly i live in a small town and hang out with half of the teachers at my kids school so its not so much of a big issue. but i would be flipping out if they told parents that they werent allowed to go past the gate.

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Quoting meparty:

I did not get to meet my kids teachers  for middle schoo, only the principal.  They will have back to school night and curriculum night.  Sounds like you are jumping the gun.

my kids are first and third grade I didn't go meet all my middle schoolers teachers either but in elementary school I should be able to go talk to the teachers real quick in the morning if needed

noahsmom310
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:22 PM
That would not be ok with me either!! The first day of school Everyone meets on the black top and we get to meet teacher so the kids who there teacher is. We are also allowed to go to the classroom anytime as well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cake.Lady
They made frustrating changes at my kids' school, too, this year. Only one of which actually apply to us, and it's just mildly annoying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
metalhealthmom
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't care. I'm sure you can still set up appointments to meet with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM
4 moms liked this

I would walk my kids to class anyway and I would contact the school board.

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Quoting momdoes:

Did they have an orientation proir to school starting? Did you miss it? Seems they would do that and then eliminate parents the first day to limit the choas that ensues when the first day happens!

nope a new principal came in and changed everything, I found out through a teacher who is the mom of my sons best friend most parents wont even know the first day they are going to have yard duty aids posted at the gates

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)