Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I feel like I am being forced :(

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM
  • 32 Replies

I feel like I am being forced to buy a house :(

DH and I both have bad credit scores. we have three children and we recieve food stamps. We have been talking about moving and he wants to buy a house. We are not ready to buy a house. I am trying to find a job but the only jobs that pays really well is the prison and we both dont want me to work there. he has a fulltime job 45 minutes away. i want to get a house closer to where he works so I could find a job and also more opportunites for the children. we can barely afford stuff now. he is all pissy because i want to wait a couple of years to buy a house and get our score up. he doesnt think he should be in his mid thirties and renting. i want to go to nursing school. if something should go wrong we couldnt afford to get it fixed

am i being unreasonable?

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beaugrl0824
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM
No your being smart about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
embersparkle
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place. I don't think you are being unreasonable at all...I hope things get better for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I'm not sure how you would qualify at this point and if you did, based on your situation, your interest rate would not be too good.  I would agree buying at this point should be a low priority.

Hi_Rae
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Not at all. From what you've posted it seems like you are in no position to be buying a home. Your dh needs to swallow his pride and accept that you can't afford it right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM
3 moms liked this

Well you shouldn't be in your mid thirties, with bad credit and on food stamps either, but he doesn't seem to mind that.

Go a head tell him to apply - you WILL NOT get approved for a mortgage anyhow.

Not with bad credit and lack of sufficient income to even FEED your family.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM

honestly i dont know either. he can get a va loan but like i said we are not ready for a home.

Quoting mjande4:

I'm not sure how you would qualify at this point and if you did, based on your situation, your interest rate would not be too good.  I would agree buying at this point should be a low priority.

beaugrl0824
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Higher credit scores mean lower interest rates and better jobs with better pay will allow you to afford the home of your dreams.

Sit down with him and write down your wants and needs for a home. Then look online for those homes. He will get the hint you cant afford what you actually want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BuzyMommy35
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I know in some states it is eaiser to buy but where I live (California ) you would not qualify for a loan while receiving PA
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ramita
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Definitely not unreasonable...i get why he wants to buy a house but from the sounds of it its not a very good idea at this time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Have you two sat down with your budget lately?  If you're already on food stamps, you probably don't have the money to buy a house.  It's not just a monthly mortgage...it's probably going to increase your monthly bills (water, gas, etc.), plus all the extras you'll need to purchase (lawn mower, paint, furniture, etc.).  Beyond all that, if you both have bad credit, you probably won't be approved for a loan.  Maybe you should contact the bank and ask them what you should do to improve your credit.  Also, work on getting back to living within your means - get off food stamps, pay off debt, use cash only, put off non-necessary purchases.

I totally get the feeling of not wanting to 'still be renting'.  DH and I are in our thirties, been married for 13 years, and just now FINALLY bought our first house.  The waiting was worth it, though, because we were able to afford the house we've always wanted - it's not big or fancy, but it works for us, and suits us perfectly. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN