Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think these professional women have a lawsuit? I do!!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM
  • 118 Replies

California school district sued over abstinence-only sex ed

By Sevil Omer, NBC News

Two California moms are suing a Central Valley school district over its abstinence-only sex education, saying the policy puts students' health at risk by failing to give teens information about condoms and contraception and about how to prevent sexually transmitted diseases.

The civil lawsuit against the Clovis Unified School District was filed in Fresno County Superior Court on Tuesday by the two parents, the California District of the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Gay-Straight Alliance Network. The ACLU is representing the groups and the two mothers, Aubree Smith and Mica Ghimenti.

"Our kids need complete, accurate information to help them protect themselves against STDs and unintended pregnancy," said Smith, a mother of a 17-year-old daughter at Clovis High School in Clovis.

"Our children need to know more about sex education than abstinence-only," said Ghimenti, a mother of three children in the Clovis district. Both women work in medical-related fields; Ghimenti is a health education instructor and Smith is a registered nurse.

The civil lawsuit is the first of its kind in California since the passage of a 2003 law requiring that sexual health education in public schools be comprehensive and medically accurate, said Phyllida Burlingame, reproductive justice policy director at the ACLU of Northern California.

"The sex ed in Clovis high schools violates state law and gives inaccurate, biased information to students," Burlingame told NBC News. "Schools should teach teens about building healthy relationships, the benefits of delaying sexual activity, and accurate information about condoms and birth control. That's what state law requires and that's what meets the needs of teens."

According to the lawsuit, the school district teaches students that all people, even adults, should avoid sexual activity until they are married.

District spokeswoman Kelly Avants told NBC News on Wednesday that school officials were reviewing the suit, and then emailed the following statement:

"It appears from an initial review that the concern raised in this lawsuit stems from a question of differing interpretations of the depth and breadth of a school district's obligation to cover detailed sexual content in its family life-sex education materials.

"The District notes that some of the information contained in the suit does not accurately describe existing procedures and practices in Clovis Unified related to parent notification.

"We will continue our review of the suit in order to better understand the concerns raised by the plaintiffs, but Clovis Unified has fully complied with both the California Education Code and the State's content standards."

The school district has more than 40 schools, with more than 39,000 students from Clovis and surrounding Fresno County communities enrolled for the 2012-2013 school year, according to school officials.

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pasteeater
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:32 PM
16 moms liked this
Why couldn't they teach their own kids? The school should not have to teach their children values and sexual responsibility. That's a parents job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting pasteeater:

Why couldn't they teach their own kids? The school should not have to teach their children values and sexual responsibility. That's a parents job.

I agree wholeheartedly but there are too many parents who bury their head in the sand when it comes to the sex lives of their children.

eviesmom453
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM
5 moms liked this

Good God. No, they can teach the kids themselves.

I can't stant people who don't hold themselves accountable for shit. Drives me nuts.

PestPatti
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:37 PM
2 moms liked this

There are women on this webiste who think just close your legs is a   sufficient sex talk.   

It would be nice if teenagers waited, but no matter what you teach,  them, they have minds of their own.

pasteeater
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM
I agree. I actually thought as a teen that I couldn't get pregnant unless I wanted to. I got the sex talk at eighteen when I was already pregnant. Nobody knew yet though. I still think parents should teach their kids. I don't think they should sue the schools for some thing the parents should do. It just seems wrong to me.

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting pasteeater:

I agree wholeheartedly but there are too many parents who bury their head in the sand when it comes to the sex lives of their children.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terramarie
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM
4 moms liked this
I think it's bullshit. Why should the school be responsible for teaching a child safe sex? Umm those bitches need to stop being so fuckin money hungry and have an educated sex talk with their kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:41 PM
No they can't sue for something they themselves are capable of! Why don't they file a suit on each other!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momswag
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Why is our already exhausted school systems being told they need to take more educational responsibility in teaching children about stds and safe sex? 

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM
3 moms liked this
Its not whether or not parents are capable of talking to their own kids. If schools are going to have sex ed, it needs to be well rounded. Schools that are only teaching creationism in science or ignoring the big bang theory altogether are in legal hot water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Yes, parents should be teaching their kids but let's face, so many think their parents are dumb, square and don't know anything. Teachers can have more authority. I think they have a right to sue...the district is violating the law.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)