Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Head Lice...HELP!!!.......(UPDATE...THANK YOU EVERYONE)

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM
  • 91 Replies

So I'm actually really embarrassed to admit this, but I need some advice from other moms that may have had this problem in the past. This summer, headlice seemed to run RAMPANT through our valley. My daughter's friend caught it in March and ever since then, it seems like no matter how many times I wash our clothes, pick through my daughters head, treat my daughters head, vacuume our furniture and spray it down with lice repelant, we just can't get rid of it. My daughters friend no longer has it, but my daughter and I just seem to never be able to rid ourselves of the pesty little devils. I have gone so far as to having a friend come over once a night and pick through my head (and I have been picking through hers to make sure we're not leaving her with some little parting gift for her help) and we can't get rid of it. Wal-mart is completely sold out of all headlice treatments (i was lucky enough to get the last box of RID today) and i'm completely lost. We are going down to Hawaii in 2 weeks to see my Fiance who is stationed there, and his friends have been more than happy to lend us their home while they come back to the mainland for the leave that the boys are getting for 2 weeks. I've just been dealing with these things for so long and I can't handle it anymore. We have NEVER had a problem with lice before ( I never even had it when I was in School) so I'm at my wits end trying to deal with this crap. Anyone have any advice?

UPDATE:

Thank you so much everyone for your advice. Again, I only had to deal with the things once as a kid, and all we ever found was the nits.  I have been using the LiceFree in my daughters hair every night, and it seems to be working WONDERFULLY. I didn't find ANYTHING in her hair tonight when I picked through it. As for me, I'm going to be vinegarizing my head tomorrow, so here comes the next questions. My friend that has been so kind to come over every day has gone back to work now that school is in session, so she is refusing to come over anymore and help (between being time consuming and not wanting to get it herself I can't say as I blame her) so I guess the question is, where I'm by myself, if I do this, how do I comb the nits out by myself? Just take the nit comb to it and hope it takes them out or will the vinegar kill them off so that they will just fall out on their own? My fiance (sometimes I swear he was a woman born in the wrong body ) suprised me this morning by saying that he ordered Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner for me and it should be here in the next couple of days and he ordered a preventative shampoo and conditioner for my daughter that will be here along with it. That's been the biggest problem it seems, with him in Hawaii (and at this point he is my Fiance, not my husband so I don't expect him to be responsible for making sure we are taken care of just yet) and my funds lacking, some of the advice that has been given (like the tea tree shampoo's) was a thought that left my mind as soon as it entered it. I have spent so much money on this crap, is has completely wiped out my funds so I am very blessed to have a man that cares about me and my daughter enough to say "I remember you said a couple of mom's mentioned the tea tree oil stuff so I ordered you and Jazz some special shampoos, and hopefully they work." Where my daughter will be with my Aunt when I go to Hawaii, because of School, my house will be empty so the house will be getting bug bombed while I am gone. So many of you brought this idea to my attention and I thank you. I never thought about bombing. Didn't think it would work on lice for some reason. Anyways, God bless all of you and thank you so much for your help.

~Jessie~

by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silvia1011
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you washing everything daily in hot water?  No hats, all combs/brushes need to be soaked in anti-lice solution, bag up all stuffed animals, etc that can not be washed --- sealed in a plastic bag for 2-3 weeks.  Have you tried at home remedies in b/w treatments?  You do treat with Nix or Rid and then repeat in 7-10 days?

ETA: also, is she or you around certain people or places on a regular basis?  Have you checked with her/your doctor --- sometimes they'll give a prescription tx if they feel it's necessary.

ETHANMASONMOMMY
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Some hair cutter sale this product called lady bug, and I have used tea tree oil mixed with olive oil. And we put a little of tea tree oil in our shampoo when we first buy it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMCSMAMA
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Bump so I can come on tomorrow & give you some ideas. I just cannot keep my eyes open another minute.... :)

maria295447
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryjxo1988
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you asked her doctor for a prescription? Malathion is one that they recommend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsMoretz
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:16 AM
3 moms liked this

um hate to break it to you but if your doing your carpets, furniture,beds,blankets, stuffed animals, and being as anal as you say your daughters friend has NOT gotten rid of it and it giving it back to you.....do both your heads with mayo (if there still isnt any lice shampoo) and take all your clothes to a laundry mat and wash them in hot hot water, when you leave for two weeks bomb your house good, when you come back you will be 100% LICE FREE and id find a sneaky way to check your daughters friend before she came into the house, and for awhile before your daughter 'infected' the house id check her head also. hope this helps (i was in a similar situation when i was about 10, my cousin was the 'friend' that kept bringing it back)

Oceana09
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Quoting Silvia1011:

Are you washing everything daily in hot water?  No hats, all combs/brushes need to be soaked in anti-lice solution, bag up all stuffed animals, etc that can not be washed --- sealed in a plastic bag for 2-3 weeks.  Have you tried at home remedies in b/w treatments?  You do treat with Nix or Rid and then repeat in 7-10 days?

ETA: also, is she or you around certain people or places on a regular basis?  Have you checked with her/your doctor --- sometimes they'll give a prescription tx if they feel it's necessary.

Yes I soake the brushes and the combs everyday and I've been getting so irritated that I've been replacing all of them once a week. My poor daughter hasn't seen any of her stuffed animals since all of this shit started in March. They have been out in the storage unit in plastic bags since the outbreak.  And we have tried the prescription from her pediatrition 3 times so far now and it's not doing anything. I have stopped her from hanging out with almost everyone, I vaccume the car out and spray it once a week. I'm by myself, as my fiance is in Hawaii, so during that 7-10 day period between treatments, my best friend has been over here picking through my head. I'm just so tired of this crap. And yes, I have been repeating it every 7 -10 days. This month alone my fiance and I have spent over $100 in lice treatments, sprays and preventative shampoos and conditioners and it doesn't seem like it's helping. 

Oceana09
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Quoting MrsMoretz:

um hate to break it to you but if your doing your carpets, furniture,beds,blankets, stuffed animals, and being as anal as you say your daughters friend has NOT gotten rid of it and it giving it back to you.....do both your heads with mayo (if there still isnt any lice shampoo) and take all your clothes to a laundry mat and wash them in hot hot water, when you leave for two weeks bomb your house good, when you come back you will be 100% LICE FREE and id find a sneaky way to check your daughters friend before she came into the house, and for awhile before your daughter 'infected' the house id check her head also. hope this helps (i was in a similar situation when i was about 10, my cousin was the 'friend' that kept bringing it back)

I'm just getting so frustrated, because I know my child isn't the only one in the neighborhood with it (the lady down the street is African American and when I tried telling her that my daughter had lice and she needed to check her kids her exact reply was "Don't tell me how to parent my children. You don't know Sh&*. Black people don't get headlice." ) Needless to say, nothing against African Americans because I'm not racist, but my daughter has NOT been playing with those girls since. Seeing as how their mother seems to think they are immune to it, I know they haven't been treated. I just can't handle people calling us "Filthy" since we have had it for so long. I keep my house immaculate and it's just getting frustrating.

Kaelaasmom
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Olive oil on the head, bag all stuffed animals for a week, then wash in hot water. Same with sheets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jkamom3
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:40 AM
My daughters got it real bad last summer. The rid did nothing for them. I soaked ther hair in olive oil. Wrapped it in saran ( not sure if I'm spelling that right lol) wrap. Let it sit for about 2 to 3 hours. It sufficates the lice and loosens the eggs. Then wash and comb out the eggs. Worked GREAT for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)