Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Social Anxiety Blows

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM
  • 62 Replies

So yesterday one of the neighbors threw a block party to celebrate the end of summer. Maybe 30 people in all, but only Husband, and 2 other people that I knew. 

Before we went, we spent some time with Husband's friend and his daughter. She's 4. I was again struck dumb by how "behind" the BoyChild is. He was being particularly Asperger's-y, and she kept looking at him like he was dumb and she'd look at me when he spoke and say things like "I don't know what he's talking about. What he says doesn't make sense." And at that point it really didn't. But it reminded me, again, that he doesn't fit in with kids his own age. Hell, he doesn't fit in with kids 3 years younger than he is. 

So, then we go to the block party. And he's running over with the other kids, and I'm trying to figure out exactly how much of a helicopter I'm supposed to be. And I just started crying like some kind of idiot, right out in the middle of everyone. I got it under control for about 5 minutes, and then someone came over to tell me how much they love the BoyChild, and how sweet he is. Meanwhile I'm watching the other children at the party staring at him and generally avoiding him. So I started crying again. 

I hate myself. 

Then I got something to eat and kind of slipped off to a side to be alone, and my friend started talking to me. I don't even know what set it off that time, but it was just too many people. Too much pressure. I worked nights for 6 years. I haven't been part of a neighborhood party ... well ... ever. Too many people, and it all came down on me, and I started like bawling uncontrollably. 

I left the party, hating myself and feeling like an asshole. Then I got home, and my door was locked. Husband had the key, as I wasn't planning on going home without him, so then I was trapped on my porch for a good 5 minutes. That's right, trapped. Not able to get inside and hide in my room like I wanted to, and unable to humiliate myself by taking my tear stained face back to the party that I'd left. Finally I forced myself back to the party, in the hopes of waving down Husband and getting the keys. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) he wasn't in sight, so I had to head back to the party.

I put on my "work face" which consists of a big smile, no matter how I'm feeling, and waited. After about 10 minutes he showed back up and I told him I didn't have a key. He offered to take me back home and let me in, but by that point the panic had mostly subsided. It left it's echoes, for sure, I woke up at 1am in a cold sweat. But I was able to enjoy the end of the party, and I even talked to some people and got to know a couple of my neighbors. 

I just wonder what they thought of me, this girl they've never seen, who finally shows up to a party, only to break down crying, not once, but three fucking times.

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnieMcD
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Bump for my nighttime mommas ...

Uniquecoolio
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Who is boychild? Is this code or what?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnieMcD
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:06 AM
My son. I tend not to use real names online. Therefore my husband is Husband, and my boy child is ... BoyChild. Crazy right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Uniquecoolio
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:11 AM
So u have social anxiety and ur son has aspergers. Ok. Just like many others. Personally I enjoy watching the reactions of others to my aspie son. they aren't unkind. sometimes just confused. Thats ok. My son is happy enuf so I am too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SevysMomma
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I feel your pain mama. I suffer with severe social anxiety. It's not fun. Not fun at all. =/

AnnieMcD
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:15 AM
I just felt like such a drama whoring asshole. Ugh.

Quoting SevysMomma:

I feel your pain mama. I suffer with severe social anxiety. It's not fun. Not fun at all. =/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Poor girl.  I can imagine the embarrassment, self blame all the bad feelings you probably went through.  I am a crier so any intense feelings i experience bring the water works.  I usually excuse them as allergies acting up when we are outside.   Big crowds really make me anxious.

___HoPsCoTcH___
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM
People are overrated. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, I know how embarrassing it is. Have you thought of getting any help for your anxiety?
JamminOutMama
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Don't get too worked up. We all have things to work on. Your not alone even though it probably felt like it
L.sands
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:54 AM
4 moms liked this
Girl! You went back AND spoke to neighbors, that's a positive step. You should be proud of yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN