Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Open House

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM
  • 25 Replies
Tonight is DSs open house. What are some good questions to ask the teacher? I know nothing of the school or his teacher =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Make sure you clearly understand her expectations from the kids and parents, how she prefers to communicate, how she runs her classroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
The method of communication is a BIG ONE.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Make sure you clearly understand her expectations from the kids and parents, how she prefers to communicate, how she runs her classroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PranaPilot
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Ask her a bunch of personal questions about religion and politics just to freak her out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

If you dont have any questions feel free not to make some up.  The teacher is probably pretty busy just saying hi.  Get her email and if something comes up you can mail her.  Some parents think if you corner her and ask her  a million questions they care more.  It really doesnt. 

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM

laughingthat's awesome !

Quoting PranaPilot:

Ask her a bunch of personal questions about religion and politics just to freak her out.

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I just went to my first open house. *sniff* I asked about communication, and I also asked if there was anything needed in the classroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM

At our school open house is NOT the time for lots of questions for the teacher. Our teachers ask that you either wait until conferences OR contact them for an appointment.

Whe DS as in kindergarten we had a parent who completely monopolized the teacehr during open house and no one else could even meet the teacher. It was horrible. 

Make sure you know what your school expects during open house ahead of time.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM
I totally agree!

Quoting NDADanceMom:

If you dont have any questions feel free not to make some up.  The teacher is probably pretty busy just saying hi.  Get her email and if something comes up you can mail her.  Some parents think if you corner her and ask her  a million questions they care more.  It really doesnt. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM

This is GREAT advice. Take and minute and introduce yourself, but don't take up too much of her time. 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

StoneColdKiller
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Maybe ask about what curriculum they are using.

You should have the email, and phone numbers already.

You could ask policy on texting, I know some schools allow teachers to do this and others don't. I really think all should make it easier for the teacher to contact the parents. I had my sons preschool teacher cell phone but texting wasn't allowed the school felt it made it to personal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN