Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

bipolar isn't real. You just need the Lord!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this
saith a televangelist on some local channel today.
first reaction: jaw drop at the dangerous ignorance of this mentality
second reaction: sadness for anyone suffering with being bipolar who is watching this asshat.
third and final reaction: anger, nay, rage, at all the people clapping their hands, yelling out amen! this mentality, ignorance, stupidity, whatever you want to call it contributes to the stigmatization of mental illness which inhibits people frim seeking help. i am not bipolar myself but mental illness, especially depression, runs in my family, so i am sensitive to the issue in general.
thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liveforever
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM
4 moms liked this

Wonder what he would say to the person in his congregation suffering from bipolar, who thought they already had the lord. Guess they did it wrong.

angelenia
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelenia
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sharon300
by Sharon on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this

He is crazy himself. I am bipolar and believe in God, there is no possible way I would allow myself to give up my medicine, I think he is sadly mistaken. 

ArrudAwakening
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Yeah that is why I don't go to the church I grew up in because they used to say it was all in the head and tell you, you needed Jesus. People are just so wrapped up that they can't see that bipolar or any other mental illness can't be helped only with the right treatment. It's sad that people have this mentality. I have severe depression and when people started telling me that I needed to pray more and go to church more and all that good stuff I ended up leaving because it wasn't helping it was making me more depressed because they thought that medication for these issues was a bad thing and they looked down on you for taking them so I got fed up and left...

-StarsChildren-
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM
3 moms liked this

sidesplittinglaughtersorry...but I doubt the lord would take me on during one of my worst moods, he'd probably tuck tail and run the other direction.

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Fucking idiot preachers *SIGH*

Rowdys.Mommy
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM
He is so wrong!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelenia
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM
i am NeoPagan but enjoy watching televangelists simply because it tickles me but every now and then one actually speaks a spiritual truth that resonates for me. i usually find them funny but this one just infuriated me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelenia
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)