Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Child Suppprt Payments are too High?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM
  • 998 Replies
12 moms liked this
I'm probably going to get slammed for this but it seems that child support payments ordered by the courts is generally higher than what is really needed to take care of a child. I truly mean no disrespect to those receiving child support because I really believe that both parents should be financially responsible. But for instance my bio dad recently told me he pays $700 per month in child support to my half brothers mom. My husband and I have 3 sons together and we don't even spend that much per month on all 3 of them. Only time we would maybe use that much on all 3 is for Christmas and when we have all 3 of them in school and have to shop for school clothes. How are these child support payments figured? What's taken into account to come up with these numbers? Again, no disrespect intended to those receiving them. I'm just curious... Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skyelyns_mommie
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Saving my spot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by Alexis on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM
26 moms liked this

From what I understand, it also takes into account utilities, housing, transportation, and things like that. I'm not 100% on this, as I've never had anything to do with CS.

I'm a designer at the best siggy group on CM--click here to check it out!

Mom24munchkins
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM
57 moms liked this
Um, you dont spend $700 a month on food, shelter, utilities, toiletries, clothes, shoes, and hobbies?! Are you kids toddlers? We are very frugal, but my kids eat healthy. We live in a moderate home. Dont have tv/satalite/cable or video games and we EASILY spend that on our three oldest kids who are 9,8, and 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM
32 moms liked this
It's really not all that much when it goes toward housing, food, electricity, clothing, transportation, education, recreation, etc. I know my kid costs WAY more than that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2mms
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:40 AM
20 moms liked this

Really? Child support is to help pay for the child. Basic neccesities (housing, food, clothes, electricity, gas in your car to drive them places, activities they are in ect...) What  I get in Child support wouldn't even pay half my rent and I don't get a small amount.

isaiahsmomma86
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:40 AM
6 moms liked this
Surely your household bills are more than 700 a month. Cs is for helping with all the child's needs including housing, utilities and food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM
9 moms liked this

Child support is to cover everything it takes to support a child. Meaning: food, shelter, clothing, electric, gas, oil, water, the car/bus to get them from point A to point B...it's more than just money for your kid, it's money so you and the kid can live.

Mom24munchkins
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM
16 moms liked this
We've never actually dealt with cs either. Just for the record. But I agree both parents should be responsible. BUT if the kids live with mom who has to work her schedule around their activities 24/7 then imo dad should pay 2/3rds of the money needed as mom puts in more actual work. If dad has the kids then imo its fair for him to pay less and mom pay more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilysMom2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Its to cover their living expenses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XJetX
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM
16 moms liked this
It's based on a percentage of your combined income.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)