Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

At what age should a child be given a cell phone?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM
  • 73 Replies
I never thought that I would allow my childern to have a cell phone until they were teenagers but now that my son is in second grade and getting invites more to birthday parties and to play at a friends' house, wanting to go to the park across the street and wanting to walk home from school Im seriously thinking about it. We live in a small town of only 1100. I'd like to be able to easily reach him if need be and for him to easily be able to reach me. How does everyone else feel on this with your kids? I brought up the topic withy husband today after I let my son walk the 5 blocks home with a friend. I mentioned maybe getting him just a very basic prepaid phone for Christmas or his birthday but he says no way. I can understand his answer because I used to feel the same way. Anyways...thoughts? What age do you think kids should get cell phones and what are your reasons for it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom5150
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Depends on their level of responsibility. I think your ds is a little young, but that's me. I'm thinking about getting mine one at maybe around 10, mostly for when he goes to his Dad's and things. He's almost 7, and knows how to use my iPhone, but he's still a little irresponsible and I'm afraid it would be lost or broken. Maybe get an extra one to let him borrow when he's out? Not HIS own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rhiannon1980
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:38 PM
7 moms liked this
When they can pay for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM

our 9 yr old still doesn't have 1. he doesn't need 1. he never goes anywhere without adult supervision. he is with an adult that has a cell phone at all times so its not necessary for him to have his own at this time. maybe when he gets closer to 12 or 13 when he is going more places alone. but as of now, no way.

LoveMy3Princes
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Rhiannon1980:

When they can pay for it.

This and not a second before lol.  I just don't see the need.

AmiJanell
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I personally would not allow my child to have one at that age.... there is no need for it.  I mean really, what did parents do BEFORE cell phones!?

As far as the question... I might allow my child to have one when they are 12 or so years... not that is THEIR'S but to call if they need to be picked up from an afterschool activity... but it wouldn't be something they could keep.

As far as when they can have their own phone.... when they are old enough to pay for it.

CrazeeMomma3
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I think it depends on the situation. It sounds like your son wouldn't have it all the time just as needed. Kind of like an extra phone in the house in case its needed by him during one of his adventures :) My kids get a phone for Christmas after their 10th birthday. Usually that's 5th grade and social activities really start up during that time. They also do NOT get a top of the line phone either. My second daughter got an older iPhone for her first phone because it was useless to have a regular phone and an iPod. Its easier to have the 2in1 thing for us.

jb0520
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM
I well get my ds one, very basic. for calling me and 911 st able 8 or 9 for safety reasons! So agrees, times have changed and I want to be able to get a hold of him whenever, wherever
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Noni2319
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM
We've decided they will get some sort of basic phone when they start going on play dates or to parties without one of us. I want them to be able to reach me if they need to. We decided this because a lot of people don't have home phones anymore and we don't want him to have a problem and them not let him use their cell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMommyNE
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM
I can understand that. 10 was around the age we had originally agrees on. My son knows how to use my iPhone too but I'd never get him one that expensive until he could pay for it himself. At this age I'd get him one of those prepaid cheap ones.

Quoting michiganmom5150:

Depends on their level of responsibility. I think your ds is a little young, but that's me. I'm thinking about getting mine one at maybe around 10, mostly for when he goes to his Dad's and things. He's almost 7, and knows how to use my iPhone, but he's still a little irresponsible and I'm afraid it would be lost or broken. Maybe get an extra one to let him borrow when he's out? Not HIS own.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Buggy979
by Danette on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Dd#1 was 13
Dd#2 was 11
Dd#3 was 10
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN