Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How is it NOT the school district's fault?

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:42 AM
  • 38 Replies
I'm watching the local news. They did a story about a little boy, 6 years old (I think).

Yesterday, at the end of the school day, the little boy got on the wrong bus and was dropped off at the wrong daycare center.
The school district says that it isn't their fault because there were two boys with the same first name waiting for buses and he got in the wrong line. They gave the reason that some kids don't even know their last name as part of the district's defending itself.

The little boy was dropped at the wrong day care center and asked his last name....which he knew. But even with that info it took them 4 hours to locate and inform his mother of where he was.

How is it NOT the school district's fault that this boy was on the wrong bus? Do they seriously only even bother asking first names?
The other thing I don't understand is how it took 4 hours to inform his mother. The day care center he was dropped off at had his full name and knew what school he was sent there from....that should have been an easy thing to figure out.
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rose87
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I blame the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:44 AM

People do not care anymore these days very sad yet very true I annoy the hell out of my sons teacher cause first week of school he gets his full name and wether he is town or on bus and what bus number and my phone number. Just in case.

laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I put it all on a sticker and place it right on the front of his shirt

brittani
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg yes it's there fault. While they are at school there are responsible. I think every kid knows there last name so I call bs on that. I can't believe they would even use that as an excuse. And then taking 4 hours to find and call the mom. I would pull him from that school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannieP
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
The district is definitely to blame. I'd be livid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ermka
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Maybe not the fault of the whole district, but certainly the fault of the school and the bussing dept. The fact that they took 4 hours to get him to his mom is unfathomable though. The kid knew his name, he knew he was in the wrong place, especially this close to the start of the school year they should be more diligent. In our district, the smaller kids have name tags, that have their names, school, bus number and pick-up and drop-in off times for their busses. They're required to wear them the first two weeks of school. Poor kid... poor mom!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deadlights86
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:47 AM
My ds teacher does this full name and bus number.

Quoting laurag8707:

I put it all on a sticker and place it right on the front of his shirt

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvem630
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:47 AM
It's a terrible situation but this one is on the bus driver.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hectictracy
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:48 AM
It is absolutely the schools fault! As parents we send our children to school and expect our kids to be watched, and taken care of. Guess that district is saying, stupid parents expect us to do our jobs. Smh.. That place wouldn't like me at all after that. I'd probably turn into crazy mommy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvem630
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM
If all they have to go on is a name and the bus depot doesn't answer the phone it probably isn't that easy to figure out where the kid should be.

Quoting ermka:

Maybe not the fault of the whole district, but certainly the fault of the school and the bussing dept. The fact that they took 4 hours to get him to his mom is unfathomable though. The kid knew his name, he knew he was in the wrong place, especially this close to the start of the school year they should be more diligent. In our district, the smaller kids have name tags, that have their names, school, bus number and pick-up and drop-in off times for their busses. They're required to wear them the first two weeks of school. Poor kid... poor mom!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)