Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you sign Petition to Ban this T-shirt? USA Today...

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM
  • 15 Replies

Controversy erupting over t-shirt

Posted: Aug 30, 2012 7:36 AM EDTUpdated: Aug 30, 2012 8:30 AM EDT

According to an article in USA Today no one's claiming responsibility for producing it but on the eve of the college football season a shirt that says, "I'd rather shower at Penn State than be a Wolverine"is igniting controversy.

The shirt mocks the Jerry Sandusky rape case while also taunting the University of Michigan.

Officials at Ohio State University say they don't have anything to do with the shirt and call it unacceptable and appalling.

Similar versions of the shirt have popped up in support of other college rivalries. And now an online petition has begun to have the shirts destroyed.

Molly Litfin makes this online plea, "As a parent, a human, and a graduate of the Ohio State University, I am beyond sickened that this shirt has been allowed to be produced. I know that it's not only OSU that has used this nightmare as some kind of sick joke, but since it's my alma mater & my hometown, I'm asking the officials at the NCAA, The Big Ten, and the Ohio State University to step up and be the first university to call for an immediate halt in production & destruction of these horrible, offensive shirts. "

No word on who created the original shirt.

http://www.13abc.com/story/19415557/controversy-erupting-over-t-shirt#.UD9UV2yPQKY.facebook

• Bupkie..... 

• ~~~ My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it.  If it fits great!  If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ~~~   thank you
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chalisa0
by Kim on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Ban it?  No.  It's stupid and offensive but it isn't vulgar and I believe in free speech.  If some moron wants to wear it, who cares?

Sweet_Britt
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM
I'd have assumed something bad happened with the cheerleaders for the Wolverines and they didn't get the attention that Penn State has been getting...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
How is it NOT vulgar??

Quoting chalisa0:

Ban it?  No.  It's stupid and offensive but it isn't vulgar and I believe in free speech.  If some moron wants to wear it, who cares?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsledford09
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Well said.

Quoting chalisa0:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenBof6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Agree

Quoting chalisa0:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
do11face
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:09 AM

It's in VERY poor taste.

I would question the morals of anyone who would wear it.

CheyennesMommy2
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:09 AM
As a huge OSU fan...id try to ban it...makes them look bad and distasteful. Yea as a fan I don't like Michigan...but this shirt is WAY out of line.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chalisa0
by Kim on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Well, people have different definitions of what vulgar means (apparently), but I mean it in the way that it doesn't contain any *individual* offensive swear words.  No little kids would know what it meant without it being explained.  (It doesn't say I'd rather get f'ed or raped in the shower etc etc.)

Quoting Apollos82:

How is it NOT vulgar??

Quoting chalisa0:

MissMandaz
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Agreed

Quoting chalisa0:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM
I think the shirt is in very poor taste, and the person who wears it has low intelligence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)