Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

For those that have cruised?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
I am going on a cruise. I have $2500 put back for spending money for 4 people (2 adults, a 13 and 2 year old). Do you think this is enough? I have never been on a cruise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cdi
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM

It all depends on what you plan to do with the money. for some that would be more than enough, for others not enough. Excursions is what will cost you the most and anything you want to do while docked.

toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM
This, and if you like alcohol that will cost you too, lol. We went on a 7 day Carnival Cruise, and I swear other than the children/crew, my husband and I were the only sober people on the ship, lol.

Quoting christina0607:

It all depends on what you plan to do with the money. for some that would be more than enough, for others not enough. Excursions is what will cost you the most and anything you want to do while docked.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdi
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM
He will drink. I don't really know prices on board. The excursion we know we want to do is $60 a person and the other port we are not doing any excursions

Quoting toopicky429:

This, and if you like alcohol that will cost you too, lol. We went on a 7 day Carnival Cruise, and I swear other than the children/crew, my husband and I were the only sober people on the ship, lol.

Quoting christina0607:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RMT1995
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Just seeing this now ... we went on one in April (2 adults and a 7yo) after paying for the trip, our account was at about $1400 AFTER our canceled excursions were reimbursed. So the account would have been closer to $2000. We drank every day, gambled a few times, did a few pay restaurants, bought souveniers, plus that included the tips. We were on NCL, our next one is Carnival (which I've heard doesn't have as many "extra fee" things as NCL did)

AMBG825
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM

From what we've been seeing, it won't be enough. DH and I have been looking for just the 2 of us and we were looking at $2500 just for 2 people. You may want to see if you can put back at least $1000 more. If you can get the cruise booked for under $3500 use the rest to shop in port calls. 

AMBG825
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Want to add, we've been looking at cruises that are all-inclusive meaning meals and drinks are part of the package. That makes a difference in the price. 

mom2twinboyz
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Does that include the cost of the cruise too or just incidentals. It should be ok depending on how long the cruise is and and how many excursions you plan on doing. Things add up fast. I think my hubby andi were at about 600-800 bucks. Four days about $150 a day. Most of that were drinks. Kids don't really add on to that. Most cruises are all inclusive so you are really only paying if you get alcohol.

RMT1995
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM
I think she means spending money after the trip is already paid for. $2500 for 4 people, one being barely a toddler, should be plenty of spending money, depending on which cruise line.

Quoting AMBG825:

From what we've been seeing, it won't be enough. DH and I have been looking for just the 2 of us and we were looking at $2500 just for 2 people. You may want to see if you can put back at least $1000 more. If you can get the cruise booked for under $3500 use the rest to shop in port calls. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsDenuninani
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Food is covered, generally.

But additional money may be spent on excursions and alcohol.  Also, at the end of the trip, there are tips.  I remember shelling out an extra $100-200 on tips alone. 

I think you should try and figure out what your budget/day will be on the trip, and go from there.  After all, it makes a difference if it's a 3 day cruise or a 7 day cruise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)