Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are people really that rude?

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM
  • 404 Replies
1 mom liked this
That they will walk up to you, a complete stranger, and offer advice/critiscm/chastisement, based on what they think your age is?

I am a young mom, but i have never dealt with what i hear some of you ladies say you have dealt with.

So is it really that common?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thehickinhickor
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM
no one says things to me i don't get out much tho an i have been told i look intimidating lol i am not a young mom
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleSw
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM
14 moms liked this

I think most of it is elaborated or BS IMO

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to get weird looks when i was a nanny to a toddler.  I was 16 at the time and everyone thought he was my baby LOL.  One of my tasks of the day was walk to the store for some light grocery shopping with him.

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Did anyone ever ask though?

Quoting frndlyfn:

I used to get weird looks when i was a nanny to a toddler.  I was 16 at the time and everyone thought he was my baby LOL.  One of my tasks of the day was walk to the store for some light grocery shopping with him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I think one elderly (80 yr old or above) asked me if he was my son but otherwise i think people just presumed.  I also had my 11 yo brother in tow as well.

Now people will tell ss he has a cute daughter and they are talking about his sister (my guy and my dd).

Quoting shadow_lark:

Did anyone ever ask though?

Quoting frndlyfn:

lizmartinez
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:47 AM
13 moms liked this

I was grocery shopping with my son when he was hardly a month old.  A woman near retirement age said "it must be hard being a single mom".  I agreed with her, saying, "I'm sure it is hard.  Thankfully I'm not in that situation and am happily married to my son's father".  She promptly stumbled with her words while saying that she wasn't saying that I was a single mom, only that she meant that it must me hard.  Suuureee, lady.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
sarlove01
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM
6 moms liked this

OMGosh!! I was running down the pier with my toddler wrapped with me in a towel b/c it suddenly got super cold. Well, he kept pulling his arm out and i couldnt stop him so i just let him do it...some lady looked at me all disgusted and said..."its too cold for that baby"  i replied smiling, "i know! he just wont keep his little arm in" and she retorted: "you should take that towel off and wrap it only around him"... i was in a hurry so i just smiled and got to the car as fast as i could and then realised she was being rude. I just rolled my eyes, people think they have the best advise and could raise your kids better than you... *eye roll* people really are rude sigh, just keep calm and carry on

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Lol...foot in mouth

Quoting lizmartinez:

I was grocery shopping with my son when he was hardly a month old.  A woman near retirement age said "it must be hard being a single mom".  I agreed with her, saying, "I'm sure it is hard.  Thankfully I'm not in that situation and am happily married to my son's father".  She promptly stumbled with her words while saying that she wasn't saying that I was a single mom, only that she meant that it must me hard.  Suuureee, lady.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CorCrox
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM
26 moms liked this
I've had it happen. I just stare blankly at the person until they get uncomfortable. Works like a charm...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Lol

Quoting CorCrox:

I've had it happen. I just stare blankly at the person until they get uncomfortable. Works like a charm...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN