Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Living off the grid. Would you ?

Posted by   + Show Post

If you had the resources to live entirely off the grid, as in a water supply like well water, solar generated electricity, wood furnace or geothermal heat,  would you? It's a lot of money up front but you make that up in a few years with lack of utilitiy bills. You have the freedom of being self reliant. 

What about subsistence living? Would you be willing to grow, fish or hunt all of your own food and not rely on the supermarket? Would you want to? 

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
Pink.Frosting
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Yes, yes, and yes.  In a heartbeat.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I would love to!

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Nope. I enjoy the conveniences of my life too much. I wont even camp in my yard. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Frosting
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Living off grid does not mean you have no power.  It means you are not hooked up to the community power/utility source.  You can have solar power and still have appliances, computer, etc up and running.

Quoting alwayskk:

I don't think I could live totally off the grid.

I love netflix too much.

alwayskk
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

LOL I know what living off the grid means but it doesn't just refer to utilities. Many people do not consider you truly off the grid if you have bank accounts, internet service, etc. etc. 

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Living off grid does not mean you have no power.  It means you are not hooked up to the community power/utility source.  You can have solar power and still have appliances, computer, etc up and running.

Quoting alwayskk:

I don't think I could live totally off the grid.

I love netflix too much.

sd68145
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM
I am planning on doing that when I finish schook make my thousands and get a nice house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spastic_poodle
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Most definitely yes.

I yearn for a simpler life that focuses on the important things. It would be hard as hell, but I think I'd find myself and God by living that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hazy999
by Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I would do it but my husband wouldnt

MockingJay
by Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Nope! I want to simplify, not make it harder. I also like my job, and could not work full-time in order to take care of all that would require. I would like to grow more of my own food though. I'm a vegan anyway, so that part would be somewhat easy. 

momma-flynn
by ♥Gee Willickers♥ on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM
I would love to live off the grid. Right now we don't have the initial resources to get to that point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)