Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Living off the grid. Would you ?

Posted by   + Show Post

If you had the resources to live entirely off the grid, as in a water supply like well water, solar generated electricity, wood furnace or geothermal heat,  would you? It's a lot of money up front but you make that up in a few years with lack of utilitiy bills. You have the freedom of being self reliant. 

What about subsistence living? Would you be willing to grow, fish or hunt all of your own food and not rely on the supermarket? Would you want to? 

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Replies (71-77):
SweetlilM
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I would love to try but, I would want too start small and work my way up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoKamele
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Yep

lgiesing13
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM
I think it would be awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Once we build our house next summer we will have well water, and wood burner. Thats as far off the grid as we get. We are also going to do a small garden, and will be owning cattle and chickens at a local farm for our own butchering (well they butcher it at the shop). But yea thats it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tiffwith3plus3
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Sure.

Actually, I guess its still 'on the grid' I'm thinking of. If you have your house connected to the power lines, but your solar panels produce more energy than you use, the power company will pay you for the extra.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Thats cool...i wonder if they do that around here. Our electric company is a co-op.

Quoting Tiffwith3plus3:

Sure.

Actually, I guess its still 'on the grid' I'm thinking of. If you have your house connected to the power lines, but your solar panels produce more energy than you use, the power company will pay you for the extra.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForRaineW_Love
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I would probably go about 75% of the way. I love meat too much to go totally vegetarian but I won't hunt for it or clean it myself (not by choice or just because, anyway) and I do love a lot of modern conveniences. I would, however, love to grow my own produce, make some of my own clothes, drink spring water instead of tap or bottled and be run totally off of solar power. It would be nice to live more off of the land than we do now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)