Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

i refuse to be ashamed

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM
  • 35 Replies
Last night our public schools went on strike. My daughters watched what was unfolding. This ius the first strike in 25 years. This morning my 11 y/o asked to see if the teachers were picketing at her school. I said okay I would walk her there. She put on her red shirt to show support.
We walked over there and see a number of teachers and school staff that we know. They thanked us for support and offered her a donut.

I called my 13 y/o and told her she could bring her 5 and 18 month old sisters. I had left them home with daddy until I could make sure the site was kid friendly. They all put on red and walked over. My oldest wanted a sign and I said sure. There were maybe 10 students there including my kids. I was the only parent.

A car drove by us really slowly and started booing out of their window. They pulled up to the curb and said we should be ashamed for allowing children to be involved. I am not an activist but I had no problem showing my support to the teachers or allowing my kids to be supportive.

I just shook my head at her but it upset my 11 y/o. She couldn't figure out why they would boo or why she should be ashamed.
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommybug77
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

Nita_friend
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I've got several friends who are teachers, and teacher aids that work for the school system you are talking about. I agree with what the teachers are trying to accomplish! And it is wonderful that you and your kids are able to show your support!! <3

Who am I? Mother, Lover, Daughter, Friend, but most important I am me & proud of it.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Kmary
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you.  I don't know the particular circumstances for your teachers and why they're on strike,  But it seems to me, there are far worse things that you could have your kids witnessing or protests they could participate in (the kids at the Westboro Baptist church protests come to mind).  Interesting teachable moment, I think!

RaeAnne.USAF
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Kudos for showing your children to be better people!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

From all the pictures I've seen there were lots of parents and kids there. Maybe not at your school..but other schools seemed to have an overwhelming support from the families.

Hopefully they can get all this worked out. Unfortunately it seems both sides are being a little hot headed here and it's time for them all to leave their personal disputes out of it.

BlessedMommyNE
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM
I would be right there with them too! Good for you! My husband works for the post office and we've been involved in a couple of rallies that we've allowed the kids to attend with us. The kids have loved them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I figured since they didn't have school anyway, why not let them be there :)

Quoting BlessedMommyNE:

I would be right there with them too! Good for you! My husband works for the post office and we've been involved in a couple of rallies that we've allowed the kids to attend with us. The kids have loved them!

mommybug77
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I know some of the teachers left to go show support at other schools. They will all be downtown at 2:30. We get a lot of traffic being so near the airport so I could not have even told you if the lady throwing a fit was from the area or not. Hopefully they'll get it ironed out today.

Quoting christina0607:

From all the pictures I've seen there were lots of parents and kids there. Maybe not at your school..but other schools seemed to have an overwhelming support from the families.

Hopefully they can get all this worked out. Unfortunately it seems both sides are being a little hot headed here and it's time for them all to leave their personal disputes out of it.

BlessedMommyNE
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM
That's great, it's too bad more of the students and staff aren't supporting the teachers. I may not know the situation behind the strike but I know that teachers everywhere are overworked, underpaid and under appretiated.

Quoting mommybug77:

I figured since they didn't have school anyway, why not let them be there :)

Quoting BlessedMommyNE:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Child have no place at a protest, IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)