Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

picky eater recipes

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

i've got two extremely picky eaters. myself, and my 5 year old LOL. my 2 year old will eat a lot more than i would :s

so...i've been experimenting with my crock pot...but so far have only found a couple very BASIC things that my 5 yr old and i like. (chicken, and pork chops, with nothing else in there, i made mashed potatoes on the stove and we had corn and green beans.

so...any ideas of things we could try to make that aren't too out there for us??

things we like:

chicken
pork chops
ground beef
green giant green beans and corn (not fresh beans)
sweet corn
carrots (not cooked though)
mashed potatoes

things we do NOT like:

peppers
onions
mushrooms
broccoli (or any other veggie besides corn and beans)
baked beans
steak

idk...we are just picky and i dont want my 2 year old to end up like me. and i'd like my 5 yr old to start trying new things, as well as myself to try new things...

can you help? 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM

With the ingredient that you do like.  I saw shepherds pie casserole type of meal.  Do you guys like brown gravy or tomato sauces?  I think that you just need to keep pushing yourself to try new things and the children will follow the example.  

My dd is even pickier than that and a PAIN in butt to figure out meals.

preemiemommy
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM
No gravy or tomato paste just ragu Lol And I don't think crock pot is good for me cuz I don't like my foods mixed together either.

An NOOOO BBQ 😝
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe

• Prep time: 10 minutes
  • Cook time: 50 minutes

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/2 lbs ground round beef
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1-2 cups vegetables - chopped carrots, corn, peas  --  corn and green beans for your particular tastes
  • 1 1/2 - 2 lbs potatoes (3 big ones)
  • 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice

METHOD

1 Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes).

2 While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 a stick) in large frying pan.

3 Sauté onions in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins). If you are adding vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots in with the onions. Add corn or peas either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat has initially cooked.

shepherds-pie-1.jpg shepherds-pie-3.jpg

4 Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper. Add worcesterchire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.

5 Mash potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.

shepherds-pie-4.jpg shepherds-pie-5.jpg

6 Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes as well.

7 Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Quoting preemiemommy:

No gravy or tomato paste just ragu Lol And I don't think crock pot is good for me cuz I don't like my foods mixed together either.

An NOOOO BBQ 😝

You may need to talk to a nutritionist to come up with recipes that are healthy.  We love doing a pork roast in crock pot and pull out the veggies separately from the meat.   Ragu is good for hiding veggies in it even if you know they are there, you have to pretend they arent.   Ragu also has tomato paste in it.

SterlingHeart
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

adding garlic and other seasonings may open up your pallet..... try roasting veggies or grilling... but for your yes list --- look up shepherds pie 

kattu
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Chicken soup in the croc pot? You can use most of the things that you like... you could make it more stew like with potatoes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN