Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

New to being a stay at home mom

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM
  • 18 Replies

I guess the title says most of it =]  I went from being a working mom to being a stay at home mom suddenly.  I have one son who is 6 and goes to 1st grade.  I love being able to keep the house clean (I'm such a neat freak) and getting everything done without feeling rushed.  I try not to get online too often.  I get to help out on the farm some.  We have angus, corn and beans.  Right now we're harvesting corn so I get to help with the combine and help bale the corn.  We're also in our calving season and I love helping with the calves.  Anyone else out there a stay at home mom to kids who are in school all day?  Today is a half day for my son so he will be home soon =]  What do you do all day?  Do you keep busy or watch tv a lot?  Just curious =]

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
creationary
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM
I have 2 kids, age 1 and 3, so I am pretty much supervising all day. The down time I do get is usually online becausr I don't often get enough time to watch a show uninterrupted. I spend a lot of time cooking, cleaning, and (when I can) crafting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaRae85
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM

My TV is pretty much on all day, even when I'm cleaning. I generally clean the house during the day (it's kind of a neverending job since we're new to the house) and I spend a lot of time cleaning and cooking in the kitchen. I have to admit that I probably spend too much time on TV or computer, and it does get difficult to find things to do once my house is clean. =) But I try to find ideas for new activities to do alone or with the boy. Don't feel bad if some days are overwhelming while other days are dead boring. lol

mitikusmom
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I'm not technically a stay at home mom, but I am a farming mama!  I have an 8 year old boy & a 6 year old girl....We have mini angus as well as sheep & pigs.  I work between the barn and home, keeping the business running and processing my own wool & yarn.  PM me if you ever want to talk :-)

KKmommy3
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM

hardley ever watch tv.  I usually have my son here, but I just got him into a pre school 3 das a week for 2 hours.  When I go online, I waste so much time.  Usually I am cleaning, grocery shopping and stuff tlike that.  I do take my son out during the day to the library, the park, the zoo, the arboretum sometimes.  Occasionally I try to meet my mom and/or my sister for lunch when they have a chance.  I am soon to be helping my grandparents who are moving close to me in an assisted living apartment.  I also volunteer a the school occasionally.  I keep really busy.  And I have to pick up the girls by 2:30 everyday.  many days they want to stop at the park or have their friends over after school, then I have to return the kids to their homes, fix dinner, then depending on the day, take one DD to dance class, DS to soccer,  go to meetings at the school, Childrens Choir practice on Thursdays,  etc..  Never a dull moment.  I have no idea how I could do everything if I worked Full time.

skateboardingtoddler girlboy on a swing
I love my beautiful girls, and my sweet little boy. I am lucky to be a mom!

christina0607
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM

My kids are in school all day and I'm home. I clean and cook dinner.I also do nothing on somedays...and I go to the gym most days.

It's really not that much time.

IPutThemFirst
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I am a SAHM,my Daughter is a first grader and my Son is a third grader,my children are in school all day long until 4 that is when the bus drops them off,however Today they get off school at 2 since it is an early release day....

During the day I spend hours on end cleaning because even though they are gone all day the house seems to get dirty somehow so I will move furniture,vacuum,scrub,sweep,etc,usually that does take me a few hours since I have to pick up stuff off the floor and put it away like loose toys,dishes,clothes,etc,between cleaning I come on Cafemom to chat or turn the TV on to watch a DVD or a show....

I will sometimes take excersize walks,I sometimes cook their dinner during the day so it's ready for them when they come Home,all I have to do is put it in the fridge,I do Laundry,Dishes etc...

I know it sounds boring but that is what I do....

LovingSAHMommy
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope...my kids are almost 3 year and almost 3 months. I keep pretty busy without trying, lol.

Britty1987
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Quoting creationary:

I have 2 kids, age 1 and 3, so I am pretty much supervising all day. The down time I do get is usually online becausr I don't often get enough time to watch a show uninterrupted. I spend a lot of time cooking, cleaning, and (when I can) crafting.

I don't craft, but I've recently learned to cook a lot from scratch and I love it!

Britty1987
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Quoting MamaRae85:

My TV is pretty much on all day, even when I'm cleaning. I generally clean the house during the day (it's kind of a neverending job since we're new to the house) and I spend a lot of time cleaning and cooking in the kitchen. I have to admit that I probably spend too much time on TV or computer, and it does get difficult to find things to do once my house is clean. =) But I try to find ideas for new activities to do alone or with the boy. Don't feel bad if some days are overwhelming while other days are dead boring. lol

We don't have cable or anything like that but we have lots of John Wayne and Roy Rogers movies.  I could probably listen to Roy Rogers sing all day, but I usually keep the radio on

Britty1987
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Quoting mitikusmom:

I'm not technically a stay at home mom, but I am a farming mama!  I have an 8 year old boy & a 6 year old girl....We have mini angus as well as sheep & pigs.  I work between the barn and home, keeping the business running and processing my own wool & yarn.  PM me if you ever want to talk :-)

ok thanks!  there are some pigs at the farm until after the kids show them at the fair... and now they're bacon in the freeze =] yummy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)