Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

This Real Mom of CafeMom Is Raising a Bilingual Baby!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM
  • 63 Replies

Yuliana and her husband are native Spanish speakers who are also fluent in English, and they want their 4-month-old son to grow up speaking two languages as well. Even though little Sebastian isn't saying anything just yet, they're already thinking about the best way to teach him both languages at the same time. Watch the video to see what method they've chosen!

Are you raising a bilingual child, or were you raised in a bilingual household? Share your story here!

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cookiecounter
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM
My 4 year old son speaks both English and Spanish. The method that worked for us was to speak to him only in Spanish up until his 3rd birthday. He learned Spanish fluently before we started speaking to him in English. It took him about 4 months to speak correct English. He is now in school so we went back to speaking to him in Spanish only since he only speaks English in school. Some might think it confuses the child but it has worked great for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

My son went to a langauge immersion elementary school, and so he is bilingual. Neither my husband nor myself are bilingual.

momof3grls4517
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM

My husband is bilingual and his parents also only spoke to him and his sibling in spanish and learned to speak english in school and by friends. Unfortuately my girls don't know spanish because he doesn't feel comfortable speaking spanish now.

ihave1
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Im doing the same. Actually she will know more then two.  She will know three at least, if not more. 

ihave1
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

That is actually the best way to learn.  I know tons of people form India & Pakistan & they all speak Hindi/Urdu at home, they learn English at school.  My dd will only speak Urdu w/ her father English w/ me, I know very little Urdu.   I said three she will learn, but now its four b/c I forgot if she knows Urdu she will be able to speak Hindi (they are the same except for a few words) anyway Im rambling...  lol

Quoting cookiecounter:

My 4 year old son speaks both English and Spanish. The method that worked for us was to speak to him only in Spanish up until his 3rd birthday. He learned Spanish fluently before we started speaking to him in English. It took him about 4 months to speak correct English. He is now in school so we went back to speaking to him in Spanish only since he only speaks English in school. Some might think it confuses the child but it has worked great for us.

Princesitamoni
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM
I am bilingual and so is dh. Home will be strictly Spanish. At school she can learn English. I will of course help her with learning the language with her homework when the time comes though.
lilou
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband and I are French Canadian but we live in New York state. We spoke French and English to our children from the minute they were born. We speak french in our house and in my car. As soon as we are out the door we switch to English until we are back home. There is a few exceptions in our home. If we read a book or play a game in English than we do the whole story/playtime is in English. We don't talk both languages at the same time and we don't switch back and forward. Our dd is almost 5 years old now and she was never confuse. Around the age of two she would say the word in the language that she would remember first but that only lasted a few months. She started talking very early. Our ds just turned one and for now we do speak to him more in French(im a sahm) and I wasn't sure how much English he knew but when he was 9 months old my friend's dd asked him what's the dog do and I told her I don't think he knows it in English and my son started barking!

I have a three friends that have waited until the age of two or three to teach their kids a second language and all of their kids understand the language but won't/refuse to speak it.( I have to say only one of the parent speaks another language though). When you speak both languages since birth, the kids don't have to learn a language they are simply born bilingual :)
anime.princess
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I'll be speaking Spanish to my soon to be born DS, while DH will be talking English to him.  We'll be homeschooling.  

BraydinsMommy09
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM

My oldest is just learning to speak (18 months) both English and Spanish, but he does know ASL. My youngest son is only 3 months, but he will know ASL and learn to speak both. Probably more English than Spanish though.

I normally only speak in English and unless I am with Spanish speaking friends because I am not totally fluent in it.  Either language I tend to still sign.

inmybizz
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I was raised in an English speaking home. I learned a second language through taking classes. My daughter attends an International school (language immersion french based). She is fluent in english, french and spanish. She is semi fluent in Chinese.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN