Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

i would like to know something.. no bashing i promise..

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM
  • 89 Replies

okay so im white but im a 1/4 turkish. and i was born and raised as a white american that only speaks english. okay so what right? so in the post i was just reading alot of people on here speak two languages and some are japanese/ english, russian/english and of course spanish/English. 

HERE IS MY QUESTION:

why are the people who only speak spanish and very little english the only ones who are being told that they need to speak english in this country? i never hear other people being told that they need to speak only english if they speak japanes or russian only.. im just curious is all... 

any bashing and ill get rid of this post... FYI

by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justpeachy71904
by Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM
5 moms liked this
They are told that. They all need to speak English in America. The language here is English.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I see that a lot with any language spoken around here. Spanish, German, Arabic doesn't matter. if you Dont have atleast a working knowledge of English, you should learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvMyBoy08
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM
7 moms liked this
I think if you come to live in this country you need to learn English no matter your ethnic background.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM
4 moms liked this
People say that because they are ignorant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
falling.rayn
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I hear people complain about the Russians in our area all the time. I see nothing wrong with any of it. My family is mainly Puerto Rican so yes we were all bilingual. People will get pissy over everything. Their is a beauty to keeping your families language.

swmmra
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you only hear that. I live in an area with a high russian population, I think that they need to be able to speak at least rudimentary english so that they can be safe in whatever enviroment they choose to be in. I work in a pool, I need to be able to explain our rules to them, so they are safe. If they don't understand basic english that communication is almost impossible. 

NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM

They are told that all the time!  I used to translate for somalians and people would tell me all the time that my clients need to learn english.

christina0607
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't agree. It seems to me people get upset regardless of the language spoken. In fact I would be willing to bet that most people have no idea what language they are hearing anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM
3 moms liked this
Well i think no matter where you are from or what your primary language is if you move to another country to live then you should learn their language. If I moved to France I would learn French. And so on.
Aurora-Dove
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this
In my opinion it is anyone who speaks another language. I think Spanish gets a lot of crap though because it is a little more prominent than other foreign languages in the US
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN