Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Good and cheap homeschooling options

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM
  • 22 Replies
Or websites, anyone know of any? I have found a few but its all scattered and hard to keep up with. I'm writing them all down but I feel a little overwhelmed.

I need a curriculum for first grade. I have to turn it in to the school board before they release him to homeschooling and I just don't seem to be able to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BraydensMama163
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Bump. I found what I think is a good mix from an old fashioned education and simply Charlotte Mason. Does anyone know anything about these websites?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Honestly, the library is one of your best options!

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Ummm did the school say that or does your state? If the school said that then they are wrong, unless your state says different you can pull your child and give notice to the state on the same day, school cant do anything.
If you are looking for well put together and cheap, I highly recommend Rod and staff, its bible based, easy to teach and it covers a lot of turf in a short time but has tons of review. There is also a county curriculum you can buy as well, as far as I know, every or almost every state offers these, you simply need to ask for it.
As far as pulling off the internet, search for free homeschool curriculum, you just down load and print as you go, its all there, as long as you have the core you can pick and choose other subjects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Go to the homeschooling group here on Cafemom they are awesome and many have been doing it for years with multiple children

tennisgal
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I keep going back to this selection as well. I haven't embraced it fully but pick and choose (like from their book lists, etc). However, I believe all (if not all then most all) of the books you will need are available free online and somewhere in www.oldfashionededucation.com it gives all the links. 

also utilize the library and interlibrary loans. our library is small so i place several interlibrary loan requests/week. 

ask more specific questions, you'll get better info. 

also check out happy homeschoolers on here. 

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Bump. I found what I think is a good mix from an old fashioned education and simply Charlotte Mason. Does anyone know anything about these websites?

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM
What state do you live in? Can you afford $20 a month? time4learning.com is good and costs $20/month.
BraydensMama163
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Thanks. I use to be in a homeschooling group but I guess being inactive I was booted.

I'm on my cell and I don't have an option for searching groups other than what I'm a member of

Quoting tennisgal:

I keep going back to this selection as well. I haven't embraced it fully but pick and choose (like from their book lists, etc). However, I believe all (if not all then most all) of the books you will need are available free online and somewhere in www.oldfashionededucation.com it gives all the links. 

also utilize the library and interlibrary loans. our library is small so i place several interlibrary loan requests/week. 

ask more specific questions, you'll get better info. 

also check out happy homeschoolers on here. 

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM
We live in Mississippi and yea we could afford that. K12 wanted 390 down and 72 a month for 12 months. Wow.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

What state do you live in? Can you afford $20 a month? time4learning.com is good and costs $20/month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting BraydensMama163:

Okay, also, you just need to submit a letter to the school board stating that you are planning to homeschool with some basic info and an outline of what you plan to teach. Your state law specifically states that they do not control what you teach your children. They just want assurance that you will be teaching him and that basic outline. You can look that up on your state's department of Ed website. I am mobile some can't make it clicky. You should be able to just pull him and submit your notice.
wildlilacs
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Check into virtual school, some offer tuition free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)