Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
We took him to the emergency room (the one an hour away) his surgeon met us there. We got in & out quick. There was no infection. He said there was odor trapped from the swelling. He took off the plastibell right there & it immediately looked better. Of course, it hurt him =( he had to press the head to bring down the swelling to get it off. It was heartbreaking.

I don't recommend circumcision, I'm just disappointed that I let his dad make the decision & even after I said I didn't want to anymore. I regret it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Replies (91-100):
Nerys-Kianna
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I'm sorry your lil one had to go through this. Hope now it will heal quickly.
My boys are all intact. It was an easy decision. I was still in Germany as DS1 was born and there it's not common at all to get boys circed, in fact since last year it's forbidden there. DS2 and DS3 aren't either, even thou they are born here in the US. Hubby wanted them done, but I told him, that our oldest is not and we should treat them fair. I don't want to hear later one from one of the boys, that we love him more cuz he is or isn't circed. He was totally fine with it.
As I gave birth to DS3 2 weeks ago, the nurse kinda wanted to push me into it, but I stood my ground, his ped was totally OK with it and told me it's not neccessary at all to do so, it's a cosmetic thing.

CDMelty
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I regret my boys' circs, too. They both had repeat and chronic adhesions. Years of pulling back skin, bleeding, Vaseline that never helped. Just all sorts of repeated signs that we are NOT supposed to mess with nature's way of protecting that.

JUFINOMA
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:35 AM

OMG it is no ones decision but the owner of the penis, to make! What the  is wrong with people in this Country?  Some how people who think it is wrong to cut part of our son's penis off with out his consent are called extremists, but those who have no problem with it, are normal? Something is wrong with this picture.

My son has his whole penis because it is not my choice or my husbands choice to make for him.

Quoting silverdawn99:

it is his dad decision also not just yours

I never had an issue with both my little boys' circs. but it sounds like the plastibell didnt fall off.

tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:11 AM
It should be the owner of the penis's decision, when he is old enough not make it, not either of of his parents, but our rights trump theirs I guess.

Quoting silverdawn99:

so she should hav ethe final say?

it should be a joint decision not just ones. even now medical experts are saying that circ cuts down on infection and chances of cancer.

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

So why does dad's automatically outweigh her's?

Quoting silverdawn99:

I never had an issue with both my little boys' circs. but it sounds like the plastibell didnt fall off.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Maybe we should do ear tags too, or tattoos on newborns to show the world that the child is yours... those arent normal practices and would be frowned upon and probably even outlawed, but cutting off a piece of your sons penis is okay, just because. Interesting...

Quoting JUFINOMA:

OMG it is no ones decision but the owner of the penis, to make! What the  is wrong with people in this Country?  Some how people who think it is wrong to cut part of our son's penis off with out his consent are called extremists, but those who have no problem with it, are normal? Something is wrong with this picture.

My son has his whole penis because it is not my choice or my husbands choice to make for him.

Quoting silverdawn99:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm happy both my boys are circed. Sorry YOU had a bad experience but that is one of those freak occurrences that can SOMETIMES happen. I would never tell anyone not to circ just because your child had one of those POSSIBLE side effects.
luvem630
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM
I'm glad he is ok now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
embersparkle
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM
I don't care if you hate on me or not. You are a person on the internet who means nothing to me. There are risks of complications on both sides of this issue. If everyone based medical decisions on fear of Dr error..no one would have anything done. There is always a chance something will go wrong.

Quoting Aslen:

Um, YEAH it should be. Esp. on someone so small, ESP. when, in certain cases, those children have to live with the censequences of the rest of their lives. Doctor error absolutely WAS a factor in my EDUCATED decision. That error could cause lifelong complications. Not hating on the OP at all. You OTOH.... I'm getting there

Quoting embersparkle:

Yeah...ok. Because making an educated decision should be based on a fear of Doctor error.

Quoting Aslen:

All the more reason to not circumcise. Then you don't have to worry about Doctor error.

Quoting embersparkle:

You are putting words in my mouth...I'm not ignorant. No there was nothing wrong with his foreskin...but you are suggesting the whole act of circumsion is wrong ..that is your opinion, not fact. I have read her other posts about what her son is going through and from what I read is sounds to me it was partly Dr error. That's why I said that. I know there are risks even when its done correctly.

Quoting acaisha:

it has nothing to do with my opinion.. are you saying her sons foreskin wasn't healthy and perfectly functional? OP never said anything to the contrary.. and even the company that sells plastibells recognizes the risks involved with their use.. so where does my opinion come into it? My point was that it was not user error.. what happened to her son is a recognized and acknowledged risk to the procedure.. it was not some sort of accident that never should have happened. It happens to more then one out of every hundred infants circumcised. It actually has a 7.4% complication rate over all. So more then 7 out of 100 infants experience complications with the circumcision.

the person posting their opinion is you.. it was your opinion that the reason something went wrong is the doctor made a mistake.. I just wanted to show you that is not the case.

Quoting embersparkle:

That's your opinion...circumcision its self is not wrong just because you think it is.

Quoting acaisha:

What the doctor did wrong was to remove a perfectly healthy functional part of a baby's body which carried an 'acceptable' risk of many things.. including swelling which prevent the ring from falling off which could have lead very easily to more serious things including death, necrosis of his penis, urine retention, staff infection etc... those are all acknowledged and normal risks of the surgery.

Quoting embersparkle:

It sounds to me like the Dr probably didn't do something right. I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Quoting Young_Mommy89:

I'm sure its not, but even though I can't undo it, I feel horrible, I guess one day I will get over it but...idk I have a special kind of bond with ds & it honestly hurts me more to see him in pain than dd...could be bcuz she's older & cries over everything though

Quoting embersparkle:

I'm sorry this is happening to your little one. I hope he heals quickly. This isn't always how it is though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

True. Not many of them though, are done on newborns in the absence of medical necessity, now are they?

Quoting embersparkle:

I don't care if you hate on me or not. You are a person on the internet who means nothing to me. There are risks of complications on both sides of this issue. If everyone based medical decisions on fear of Dr error..no one would have anything done. There is always a chance something will go wrong.

Quoting Aslen:

Um, YEAH it should be. Esp. on someone so small, ESP. when, in certain cases, those children have to live with the censequences of the rest of their lives. Doctor error absolutely WAS a factor in my EDUCATED decision. That error could cause lifelong complications. Not hating on the OP at all. You OTOH.... I'm getting there

Quoting embersparkle:

Yeah...ok. Because making an educated decision should be based on a fear of Doctor error.

Quoting Aslen:

All the more reason to not circumcise. Then you don't have to worry about Doctor error.

Quoting embersparkle:

You are putting words in my mouth...I'm not ignorant. No there was nothing wrong with his foreskin...but you are suggesting the whole act of circumsion is wrong ..that is your opinion, not fact. I have read her other posts about what her son is going through and from what I read is sounds to me it was partly Dr error. That's why I said that. I know there are risks even when its done correctly.

Quoting acaisha:

it has nothing to do with my opinion.. are you saying her sons foreskin wasn't healthy and perfectly functional? OP never said anything to the contrary.. and even the company that sells plastibells recognizes the risks involved with their use.. so where does my opinion come into it? My point was that it was not user error.. what happened to her son is a recognized and acknowledged risk to the procedure.. it was not some sort of accident that never should have happened. It happens to more then one out of every hundred infants circumcised. It actually has a 7.4% complication rate over all. So more then 7 out of 100 infants experience complications with the circumcision.

the person posting their opinion is you.. it was your opinion that the reason something went wrong is the doctor made a mistake.. I just wanted to show you that is not the case.

Quoting embersparkle:

That's your opinion...circumcision its self is not wrong just because you think it is.

Quoting acaisha:

What the doctor did wrong was to remove a perfectly healthy functional part of a baby's body which carried an 'acceptable' risk of many things.. including swelling which prevent the ring from falling off which could have lead very easily to more serious things including death, necrosis of his penis, urine retention, staff infection etc... those are all acknowledged and normal risks of the surgery.

Quoting embersparkle:

It sounds to me like the Dr probably didn't do something right. I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Quoting Young_Mommy89:

I'm sure its not, but even though I can't undo it, I feel horrible, I guess one day I will get over it but...idk I have a special kind of bond with ds & it honestly hurts me more to see him in pain than dd...could be bcuz she's older & cries over everything though

Quoting embersparkle:

I'm sorry this is happening to your little one. I hope he heals quickly. This isn't always how it is though.

Dorra
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM

My boy is circ'd and so are all my nephews. Never had a problem but then again never used the plastibell either. Our doc (family doc) who did our sons does not use the plastibell method (3 different methods) bc of the risk of infection. Sorry you had a bad experience and that your ds was in pain. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN