Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Vaccines. Why do so many people care what other parents do.

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM
  • 330 Replies
6 moms liked this
Vaccines are a personal choice. No one should have that right to take that choice away from me as a parent. My husband almost died form one as a very small child. So his mom stop vaxing him and never got any for his sister. So we decided not to vax. Our child have never been sick besides the seasonal cold when the weather changes and allergies. They have never had a fever and they have never thrown up. I have never had to take them for a sick visit or to the er. My children have never had any kind of shot and they are perfectly healthy. Why should some one else be aloud to decided what is best for my children and family? Not every one is the same and all things do not work for everyone.

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ashgambit
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM
11 moms liked this
I think with people steering farther and farther away from vaccinating, and stuff like pertussis being on the rise, it makes sense why people want all children to be vaccinated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StoneColdKiller
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM
I agree it's personal. I'm surprised your not a little scared. I can't have the whopping vax I've had 1 and had such a bad reaction to it. I'm so scared cause I live in a area that has out breaks of it and even though my husband and son both have theirs I fear I will get it easier and bring it around my son and get him sick (you can still get it even if you been vax just not as bad)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILoveMyFam
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM
5 moms liked this
Funny you mention that being that the Dtap vaccination is the least effective and needs very frequent boosters just to maintain slight immunity to it.

Quoting Ashgambit:

I think with people steering farther and farther away from vaccinating, and stuff like pertussis being on the rise, it makes sense why people want all children to be vaccinated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrunchyBran
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM
8 moms liked this

People get worked up because no matter which side of the fence you are on, you honestly believe you are doing what is in the best interest of your child, and that their life could possibly be at stake.  It makes the other side of the fence a scary place to consider.   Most people who vax believe they are life saving and people who don't vax are putting their children's life in jeopardy.  Most people who don't vax believe they are dangerous and that people who vax are putting THEIR children's life in jeopardy.  Mama bears come out with these types of things.  I'm  not saying it's right, just giving a perspective on it. 

mrgetinold
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Like most things parenting wise to each their own, my ds school has a big pool of parents that dont vax their kids and that is their decision where it bothers me is where it effects my kid who i chose to vaxs and he gets whooping cough from a unvax kid at his school ( which happened last may he missed field day, and his 5 th grade contiuation and picnic) and had to take meds that left him running to the bathroom to make it there, he was so miserable! I am glad parents have the option but....
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM
3 moms liked this
Quoting Ashgambit:I think with people steering farther and farther away from vaccinating, and stuff like pertussis being on the rise, it makes sense why people want all children to be vaccinated.

Well the fact is that most children or people getting it are vaxed.

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

HIJKLM
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM
9 moms liked this
People get upset about it because your non vaxed child can spread illnesses to children who are too young to vax or have a compromised immune system. This is one of the CM arguement I understand. It actually could hurt their child. I personally delay vaxed and my kids never got any childhood illnesses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM
4 moms liked this

A majority of those who are getting sick are ones that HAVE been fully vaxed. There is a flaw in the current vax, that the CDC is investigating. 

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2012/09/30/feds-probe-whooping-cough-epidemic-are-vaccines-pooping-out

Quoting Ashgambit:

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this

It's a matter of choice.  I don't care who vax's and who don't.   I did with our son. Because I wasn't taking the chance of him getting mumps, measles or the other sicks like that.  But if someone chooses to not vax.  It's their business.  No one should tell them otherwise.  Being next to a non vaxed child isn't going to give a vaxed child some sick.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

I agree it's personal. I'm surprised your not a little scared. I can't have the whopping vax I've had 1 and had such a bad reaction to it. I'm so scared cause I live in a area that has out breaks of it and even though my husband and son both have theirs I fear I will get it easier and bring it around my son and get him sick (you can still get it even if you been vax just not as bad)

THIS is why all healthy people should be vax. because otherwise you are endangering people who are too young to be vax'ed yet, or people whose health is too delicate to use the vax. 

Without ME there would be no awesome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)