Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My grocery bill is OUTRAGEOUS!

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM
  • 100 Replies

So I saw this article on Yahoo a while back that said eating healthy isnt actually more expensive..well whoever wrote that article LIED. Our grocery bill used to be $300-$350 a month (we are a family of 3). Even with that bill we ate pretty healthy.

But I have since made the following changes

-No more lunch meat sandwiches for lunch (trying to avoid the nitrites and sodium). So we replaced that with meals I make to last 3-4 days.

-We dont buy any processed foods of any sort, no box meals or anything. The only thing I buy that comes in a box is organic cereal (cascadian farms) or Annie's organic mac & cheese.

-We buy a lot more vegetables and fruit for just snacking.

-We buy a lot of greek yogurt which is pretty expensive in itself.

-We buy more premium cuts of meat instead of the cheap stuff and we dont buy ground beef anymore, we buy white ground turkey in place of it.

-I make everything homemade for every meal so that definitely gets expensive. We also eat at home for every meal..we rarely eat out.

So this has turned out $350 a month grocery bill into $600. For THREE people... I feel like this is excessive. I want to continue to feed my family this way because we all seem healthier and have more energy but I need to find a way to cut down costs...anyone have ANY suggestions??

We take advantage of shopping at the commissary on base so we dont shop on the economy..I dont even want to know what that bill would look like. 

I also try to take advantage of coupons when I can but most of the stuff we buy is meat, dairy or produce and there arent coupons for that so it really doesnt help much :(

What is your grocery bill monthly and for how many people? 

ETA: The $600 includes non-food items like paper towels, toilet paper, toiletries etc.

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Candy0706
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM
I'd say about $500ish for 4 people. We, too, try to eat healthy. I can't say every night but 4 out of 5 we try to. Weekends we usually do something with the kids that involves eating out. G/L
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Our runs about 130 a week.So thats $520 month. For 2 adults.

Italiancouture7
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Ya I go every week and it always about $100-$140 it averages in between that every week

NowImAMom...
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM
$40 a week for just me. That's $160 a month. And I don't eat as healthy as I'd like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imnotbarbie03
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Our eating styles are very similar. I DO eat lunchmeat though. I'm low income right now (finishing my bachelor's degree in May) so I get foodstamps. I have $450/m to spend and I have to make it work.

I coupon for anything I can - which isn't much - but you maybe able to coupon your yogurt down a little. Also, if you don't already, but a big tub of the plain greek yogurt and google some recipes for how to flavor it yourself.

I price match meat and produce. I look at ads for 4 different grocery stores and write down who has the cheapest prices per lb. on things and then I go to Walmart and ask them to price match. Some Walmarts/Cashiers will make you present the ad to match a per lb. price on things. Others won't. It's odd.

Finally, I meal plan - every meal - everything we cook. That way I don't have things I'm not going to use or throw out that expensive produce. 

I also "overcook" for dinner - make too much so that it can be lunch the next day. Making more of the same dish is usually way cheaper than making a whole new dish.

Hope that helps!

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Quoting Italiancouture7:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Ya I go every week and it always about $100-$140 it averages in between that every week

I hate it.the prices are insane and in Ma the fruits and veggies suck this year. I am seriously thinking of trying to garden next year. I have no idea how to but i have all winter to figure it out.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Stacie03
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM
We are a family of 4, I'm pregnant, DD is 4, DS is 2 and DF. Including all bathroom products, diapers, etc I spend $350-$400 per month.
I make just about everything from scratch. I don't buy pre-made or boxed foods either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I have a budget 300 a month for 4 people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kermitthemom23
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Bump for later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cLanief
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
just a tip... The commissary is not always the cheapest. I thought it was but it's not always the case. Check your store ads And you might find some of your usual stuff is on sale at grocery stores or just cheaper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN