Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How can I approach the teacher without bugging her?

Posted by   + Show Post

DS is gifted.  I mean this literally, he was tested in NYC and landed in the 96th percentile for the city (including Manhattan, brooklyn, queens, etc).  He started reading books at 4, spells, math, months etc.  He had great early education in the college I attended in New York, all the teachers had masters and it was a 3:1 ratio.  

I know this type of one on one education isn't possible in public school and I also know that kids are all at different rates...  Because of his level, he was placed in a K/1 class (mixture of kindergartners and 1st graders).  That being said, I feel like his education is lacking there.  They are going over money, days of the week, months, seasons, etc.  He knows all this.  He is bored.  His homework he brings home consists of this:  Monday- write the letter H 5 times, Tuesday- write your name 5 times, Wednesday- write the letter G 5 times, etc.  He does his week of homework within 10 minutes on Mondays.  

I know that kindergarten is about social interaction and I'm trying to tell myself this, but I also feel like he is above and beyond this work because he had such great early education and is pretty sharp.  

Should I ask the teacher for extra home work?  Should I let it go and try not to focus on it?  I'm very confused about what to do...  Thoughts?  

You know you want it

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Replies (71-76):
MockingJay
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:40 AM
3 moms liked this

If you want to take advantage of his intelligence, provide him with enriching experiences, rather than paperwork. Cook with him, engage in things that interest him, take him to musuems and other cultural places. Take him to shows, and get him lessons in things that interest him. 

High intelligence does not mean he need more busy work, it means his capacity to learn is high, and providing him with things that stimluate and engage him is what will be most meaningful to his learning. 

needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow in kinder my DS was having to read and had a ton of homework each week. Yours sounds very lacking. But there won't be much the teacher an do in te class. Sure she can give him more homework, but in class she ha to stick to te ciriculum forte other students. I would say look into moving him up a grade or changing schools to something that will give him more of a challenge.
mommy2boys03
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

here are some websites that you might like for your son.  I would suppliment myself

www.raz-kids.com

www.coolmath4kids.com

www.funbrain.com

www.factmonster.com

www.mathfactcafe.com

These are just a few that my kids school recommends

.betty.white.
by bilf on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Thanks!!!  

Quoting mommy2boys03:

here are some websites that you might like for your son.  I would suppliment myself

www.raz-kids.com

www.coolmath4kids.com

www.funbrain.com

www.factmonster.com

www.mathfactcafe.com

These are just a few that my kids school recommends

You know you want it

Itzy0ll0tl
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

can we switch schools PLEASE!!!

my DD is 5 she is in Kinder 3 ( I am in mexico she will be in first grade next year)  gets just for one day of homework

20 math problems 10+5 5+9 etc--- 10 sums and 10 subtractions

I have to say out lous 15 words for her, and she has to write them down. mama. sopa, luna etc

she ahs to repeat ( it varies, it can be a leter, a sillable, or words) in the whole notebook page

she has to cut and paste syllables to make words. ( sie-te, se-is, ma-ma)

sha has to cut nd paste words to make sentences ( mi..mama..me..ama)

she has drwaings pasted by her teacher) and sha has to wirte down the name, or the syllable it strats with.

she has to read a page in her reading book everyday,

AND she ahs english homework... not this much, just a fewpages,. but the english teacher is very laid back so its niot this much.

to this, add a weekly inverstigation ( this week's is autumn)

oh and I forgot to add, she is already working on her cursive wtitting, they usually paste a page with print words, and the same cursve words, and DD has to match them,

ON EACH PAGE, SHE AHS TO WRITE THE DATE IN SPANISH: Yesterday's looked like this:

Miercoles..3..de..Octubre..del..2012

to all of this. ADD that the capital letters the periods, and accents and the 2 dots that seperate EVERYTHING she writes have to be written in red so for example the date looks like this

Miercoles..4..de..Octubre..del..2012

yes she has to write down 2 red points between everything she writes, if ehs has to write the whole pageof the sillable ma it looks like this

ma..ma.. etc etc.

to be honest, I HATE this, I feel they are forzing ther t odo soo much, and i was going to pull her out from that school BUT i ahve notied that she CAN do all that, easily,. she is already reading in writting, this is a private school. In mexio public schools SUCK big time. so its either having her in a private one, where they make her doo so much stuff OR a private school, where kids hher age, dont even know the alpahabet letters.... I would looove to homeschool, but I believe that is illegal in mexico, becuae Kids have rights, and one of them is toattend school, so by not taking them you are violating their right.. :(

I always thought I would home school :( ( sorry I had to vent in your post)

veganistic
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Does your district have a gifted program? Dd just got placed and for g1 and 2 it is one day per week, but grade 3-5 it is full time separate classroom. Can't wait! Shes in one day per week now and is crazy about it. definitely request a conference, ask to have him tested, and find out what you can both do to challenge him more!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN