Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Just watched the debate... I find that a lot of the problems that America is facing the people can fix on their own. We, as the people, need to start being smarter with our money and live under our means instead of living right at or above our means. Start saving up for our own retirement. Get out of debt and stay out debt. Paying interest is a waste of your money. If you need healthcare and have a pre-existing condition, then go after a job that has offers insurance. They will cover you. I do believe that food stamps should be taken away. There are to many people who abuse the system. If you need help, there is family, friends, churches, care and share, food banks you can turn to for help. There is help out there but I don't think that it's the government's job to feed the poor but the People's job. We need to take care of each other. More than half of the debate would be resolved if we, the people, stepped it up on how we do things financially at home.

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
MommyLeary
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I know that not everyone has family or friends to turn to when they need help. What i'm saying is help those around you even if you don't know them. Give a little if you can give a little to those who need help. It seems like the only time people are willing to help others is the Christmas season. What about the rest of the year? 

Quoting A.B.C.brown07:

Solo you don't think the government should help, but family friends churches, and food banks should? Lol you must live in a perfect world where you believe everyone has family and friends, everyone has a church, and food banks get their money off trees!

A.B.C.brown07
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Girl you are living in a dream! No one will willingly give money to ppl. This is why we tax. Taxes are required and involuntarily taken from checks to assure the poor are cared for. Everyones priority is their own family first. If we left it to ppl to voluntarily give then ppl would starve!!! I think your views are just slightly far fetched. Obama and Romney both agree that the PA is a good system in place to help those, they disagree on the details of the requirements and the percentage of ppl it helps

Quoting MommyLeary:

I know that not everyone has family or friends to turn to when they need help. What i'm saying is help those around you even if you don't know them. Give a little if you can give a little to those who need help. It seems like the only time people are willing to help others is the Christmas season. What about the rest of the year? 

Quoting A.B.C.brown07:

Solo you don't think the government should help, but family friends churches, and food banks should? Lol you must live in a perfect world where you believe everyone has family and friends, everyone has a church, and food banks get their money off trees!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLeary
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Fair enough. I know that there are people on PA who are truely in need of help. But there are those who abuse the system. What if there was regulations in place to weed those abusers out of the system? Like drug tests for instance? PA should only be used until you are back on your feet, after that point I would consider it a hand out.

Quoting A.B.C.brown07:

Girl you are living in a dream! No one will willingly give money to ppl. This is why we tax. Taxes are required and involuntarily taken from checks to assure the poor are cared for. Everyones priority is their own family first. If we left it to ppl to voluntarily give then ppl would starve!!! I think your views are just slightly far fetched. Obama and Romney both agree that the PA is a good system in place to help those, they disagree on the details of the requirements and the percentage of ppl it helps

Quoting MommyLeary:

Quoting A.B.C.brown07:

StoneColdKiller
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM
I thought you said interest was a waste? Why have a mortgage if you believe this?

Quoting MommyLeary:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Your view is very naive and this is coming from someone Wyo manages money for a living. Do you mind if I ask how old you are and what you do for a living?

lol believe it or not I am 24 and I waitress. My husband and I have a morgage of 1120 a month with just essential bills. He makes $14 an hour and we live comfortably. We have been that way for over 2 years now. 2Years ago we cut up all of our credit cards, payed off bank loans and got out of debt. We have money in savings that we can depend on if something goes wrong. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SticksnStones
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:35 AM

BS... Go to a job that offers insurance? Not all jobs offer insurance. Those jobs still need to be done. So what then? Employers are not always the answer. Have you ever tried going to a church for help? If you are not of thier faith? Yes, we do need to take care of eachother, but most will not or feel they can't. 

HIJKLM
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:36 AM
I was thinking that.

Quoting Arwyn724:

So you're voting for Romney...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SticksnStones
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Unless you are bringing in a substantial amount of money, I don't see how you are "living comfortably" on him making $14/hr.  That's about what my husband makes, so I know.  Bills and food and gas is the extent of our splurges.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

I thought you said interest was a waste? Why have a mortgage if you believe this?

Quoting MommyLeary:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Your view is very naive and this is coming from someone Wyo manages money for a living. Do you mind if I ask how old you are and what you do for a living?

lol believe it or not I am 24 and I waitress. My husband and I have a morgage of 1120 a month with just essential bills. He makes $14 an hour and we live comfortably. We have been that way for over 2 years now. 2Years ago we cut up all of our credit cards, payed off bank loans and got out of debt. We have money in savings that we can depend on if something goes wrong. 

jakesmom323
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:30 AM
Romney has my vote!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLeary
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:10 AM

With waitressing, I bring in $1300 a month. Our house is the last thing we are working on. We are putting more towards the principle each month, hacking away at the amount of interest we will be paying in the long run. We want to own our home, not rent.

Quoting SticksnStones:

Unless you are bringing in a substantial amount of money, I don't see how you are "living comfortably" on him making $14/hr.  That's about what my husband makes, so I know.  Bills and food and gas is the extent of our splurges.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

Quoting MommyLeary:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:13 AM
I don't care how you manage your personal finances. I manage money for a small company and this year its looking like $1.2M.

Your job is a dime a dozen. I don't know what your husband does but $14/hr is not pay that indicates a lot of education or experience. When you have a graduate degree and make six figures and suddenly lose your job, the idea of going out and getting a new one isn't exactly something you can do overnight. 20 years ago, employers weren't just trying to survive. They were able to afford pension plans, contributions to a 401k, and stock options with matching which were part of an overall retirement plan with social security and Medicare a small part of the plan. Try finding those companies now. Health insurance is an easy sell because its payroll tax deductible. Retirement plans are not and it is rare to find employers who offer the same types of benefits they did 20 years ago.

You say you're 24 as if that is NOT young and naive. It is. I don't care how you manage your finances. Everyone does it differently.

Quoting MommyLeary:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)