Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Just watched the debate... I find that a lot of the problems that America is facing the people can fix on their own. We, as the people, need to start being smarter with our money and live under our means instead of living right at or above our means. Start saving up for our own retirement. Get out of debt and stay out debt. Paying interest is a waste of your money. If you need healthcare and have a pre-existing condition, then go after a job that has offers insurance. They will cover you. I do believe that food stamps should be taken away. There are to many people who abuse the system. If you need help, there is family, friends, churches, care and share, food banks you can turn to for help. There is help out there but I don't think that it's the government's job to feed the poor but the People's job. We need to take care of each other. More than half of the debate would be resolved if we, the people, stepped it up on how we do things financially at home.

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Replies (41-47):
boldrumble
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, i bet. I think the whole thing is incredibly mixed up.

Quoting Arwyn724:

Yeah, well people my age (55) won't see it either, and it hurts a lot more when you've contributed for over 40 years.

Quoting boldrumble:

Hahahahahaha....you will never see that money....or well...you may, but people my age (31) wont see it. SS wont exist anymore when i should be able to collect, because even our govt. is living beyond its means...

Quoting chaslee:

FYI, if no one was in debt our economy would collapse.  And what about things like student loans, mortgages, etc?  I certainly could not have afforded to go to school without  loans, and I did not have $200,000 saved up to buy a house with cash.  Do you?  As for saving for my retirement... I put money into social security with every single pay check.  And have since I was 15 years old.  Should that now just be gone because it's not "the governments job to support me" when I retire?  I'm not saying I should ONLY rely on social security, but I have contributed to it for 25 years now on a regular basis, I think I am "entitled" to get some of it back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arwyn724
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM

You got that right.

Quoting boldrumble:

Oh, i bet. I think the whole thing is incredibly mixed up.

Quoting Arwyn724:

Yeah, well people my age (55) won't see it either, and it hurts a lot more when you've contributed for over 40 years.

Quoting boldrumble:

Hahahahahaha....you will never see that money....or well...you may, but people my age (31) wont see it. SS wont exist anymore when i should be able to collect, because even our govt. is living beyond its means...

Quoting chaslee:

FYI, if no one was in debt our economy would collapse.  And what about things like student loans, mortgages, etc?  I certainly could not have afforded to go to school without  loans, and I did not have $200,000 saved up to buy a house with cash.  Do you?  As for saving for my retirement... I put money into social security with every single pay check.  And have since I was 15 years old.  Should that now just be gone because it's not "the governments job to support me" when I retire?  I'm not saying I should ONLY rely on social security, but I have contributed to it for 25 years now on a regular basis, I think I am "entitled" to get some of it back.

peanut081981
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I was talking about the OP, silly. Not you.

Quoting Arwyn724:

Ok.  My first comment to the OP that you replied to was a little tongue-in-cheek.  Sorry that does not come across on the internet.  My second comment you replied to was my personal experience with discussions I've actually had with real live Romney voters. Exclude yourself if you wish, I do not know you so I do not know how you think.  Either way, it isn't worth getting defensive over.  It is my absolute hope that the Romney voters are thinking on their own, and not just following the "I hate Obama" parade. 

Quoting peanut081981:

Truly. I skimmed the "how romney voters think" line. I love being grouped together like that. Makes me warm and fuzzy. Cause I don't have my own ideas or anything.

Quoting Arwyn724:

And I'd say it was more on the naive side.....

Quoting peanut081981:

Now that's not fair. I'm voting for Romney and I think what she's said is ridiculous.

Quoting Arwyn724:

So you're voting for Romney...

zeesmuse
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM

No, I WANT you to control YOUR vagina. I jsut don't want to have to PAY for it! I am not responsible for YOUR VAGINA! If someone wants me out of their bedroom, by God don't make me responsible for the consequences of what goe on in. Birth Control is too easy to get and it's NOT expensive.In fact you can get it for free.... Planned Parenthood anyone???

That is unless your vagina has been compared to an rent by the hour motel room...

Quoting Kaya529:

Not every aspect of our lives, just our vaginas.

Quoting zeesmuse:

Well Democrats WON"T let us fix things on our own. THey'll tax us to death so they can fix it 'for us'... The American people are NOT children and we do NOT need to the government to  regulate every aspect of our lives.

Romney won hands down last night.  Totally.

A.B.C.brown07
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Lol I love when Romney supporters have no clue what they are supporting. You are supporting one of the most anti women's right activists out there. You ARE aware that Romney plans on getting rid of planned parenthood... Right?

Alex: "This is not the 1950s. Contraception is so important. It’s about a woman being able to make decisions." (As she speaks, a picture of Romney appears beside the words "Opposes requiring employers to cover contraception.")

Dawn: "I don’t remember anyone as extreme as Romney."

Romney event video: "I’ll cut off funding for Planned Parenthood."

Alex: "I don’t think Mitt Romney can understand the mindset of someone who has to go to Planned Parenthood."

Romney interview video: "Planned Parenthood. We’re going to get rid of that."

Dawn: "I think Mitt Romney would definitely drag us back."

The Contraceptive Mandate

Romney’s stance on contraceptive coverage became clear during the Republican primaries. Early this year, congressional Republicans made a big push to roll back a provision of the health care law that requires all employers except religious ones to provide birth-control services without any out-of-pocket costs.

In the Senate, Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., sponsored an amendment that would exempt employers from providing any service that went against their "beliefs or moral convictions." At the time, the issue put the Obama administration on the defensive and the president himself appeared at the White House briefing room to explain a work-around for religious affiliated hospitals, universities and the like.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/aug/08/barack-obama/obama-slams-romney-on-contraception-and-planned-pa/
Quoting zeesmuse:

No, I WANT you to control YOUR vagina. I jsut don't want to have to PAY for it! I am not responsible for YOUR VAGINA! If someone wants me out of their bedroom, by God don't make me responsible for the consequences of what goe on in. Birth Control is too easy to get and it's NOT expensive.In fact you can get it for free.... Planned Parenthood anyone???

That is unless your vagina has been compared to an rent by the hour motel room...

Quoting Kaya529:

Quoting zeesmuse:

Well Democrats WON"T let us fix things on our own. THey'll tax us to death so they can fix it 'for us'... The American people are NOT children and we do NOT need to the government to  regulate every aspect of our lives.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaya529
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM
I control my Vagina just fine and since I cannot take any of the better birth control, I have always bought my own condoms.

That is not what I was talking about. First off people are not perfect and therefore mistakes are going to be made. Second we live in a society that says that within marriage sex is a must. Just because someone is ready for marriage does not mean they are ready for a baby. Then we have the problem of more men running when a women get's pregnant then stay to take care of the child. There is a whole list of other issues that it is too early to get into.

Republicans don't want to fix the problem but take away the two options left to the people who are most likely to have unwanted children. You mentioned Planned Parenthood. Well the republicans have an agenda to close that down too. The last point is that you live in a country with a lot of other people and since this is a democracy you will end up paying God things you don't like but they are also paying for things you want but they don't like. You can't have everything your way.

Quoting zeesmuse:

Quoting Kaya529:

Quoting zeesmuse:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wildlilacs
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Waitress with employer paid insurance? Wow. Hubby gets free ins at his work too? You and him can quit and easily find jobs if either of you get laid off? Have enough money in bank to keep you going for at least a year, in case either one of you get injured and cant work? Wow. Good going.
What does hubby do for a living?
What this country needs are more, decent paying jobs so people can live within their means.

Quoting MommyLeary:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Your view is very naive and this is coming from someone Wyo manages money for a living. Do you mind if I ask how old you are and what you do for a living?

lol believe it or not I am 24 and I waitress. My husband and I have a morgage of 1120 a month with just essential bills. He makes $14 an hour and we live comfortably. We have been that way for over 2 years now. 2Years ago we cut up all of our credit cards, payed off bank loans and got out of debt. We have money in savings that we can depend on if something goes wrong. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)