Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

he stole my car :/ should I call the cops? EDIT

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM
  • 35 Replies
I let someone borrow my car to go 2 miles down the road to wash clothes yesterday at 345 pm. And he has yet to return my car :/ I bought it but found out it had title issues so it has no tag, title not in my name so what I'm wondering is... can I still call the cops and report it stolen? I have my bill of sale so it can prove I bought it plus a crap ton of no tag tickets on it. EDIT. He is a next door neighbor and I can't get paperwork on car taken care of because the only way is to get a surety bond and that costs $1,100 and I just don't have it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Yes call and report it. And get your paperwork taken care of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Oh that is a toughy call the police station and ask them and go from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alreadydidthis
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Who is the somebody? But yes I would call.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssasmommy318
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Edit added

Quoting alreadydidthis:

Who is the somebody? But yes I would call.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssasmommy318
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Edit added

Quoting msjaxon:

Yes call and report it. And get your paperwork taken care of.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by ♥Gee Willickers♥ on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Have you actually asked for the car back or did you give him a deadline to return it?  

You can call, but technically it isn't stolen since you let him take it. Call the non-emergency number & ask an officer what you need to do. 

JenWilson
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

We have something called unauthorized use of a motor vehicle where if you loaned your vehicle to someone you can still report it. However, with the title not being in your name it gets a little tricky. Having a bill of sale helps but is it a legal bill of sale, has it been notarized, would it stand up in court? Call the non emergency number and talk to someone, they will be able to direct you better as they will know the legalities where you live, it's different everywhere.

alyssasmommy318
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM
I have no way to get ahold of him he doesn't have a way to call him. :( I have asked his gf multiple times by call and text to please return the car and all she says is she left him and doesn't know where he is.

Quoting momma-flynn:

Have you actually asked for the car back or did you give him a deadline to return it?  

You can call, but technically it isn't stolen since you let him take it. Call the non-emergency number & ask an officer what you need to do. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstkn.identity
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM
This

Quoting JenWilson:

We have something called unauthorized use of a motor vehicle where if you loaned your vehicle to someone you can still report it. However, with the title not being in your name it gets a little tricky. Having a bill of sale helps but is it a legal bill of sale, has it been notarized, would it stand up in court? Call the non emergency number and talk to someone, they will be able to direct you better as they will know the legalities where you live, it's different everywhere.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM

yes, call and report it stolen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)