Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My 1st grade son is not doing well in school =(

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

I don't get it.  He does well at home.  He reads well (he does have a tendency to be careless and guess), he does his math homework well, but he came home today with his assessment test results and he is below average in everything!  I don't even know what to work on because nothing seems to be a problem for him in his homework.  Could part of it be he is a bad/careless test taker?  It is the first assessment test he has ever taken.  I am completely distraught over it all.  I thought he was AT LEAST average if not better, but no.  I'm am so embarrassed.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJAG
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM

BUMP!

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM

talk to his teacher

it is most likely that he was just fast and did guess

Punkie74
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM
I would talk to his teacher and see if he is having any difficulties in class
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MandaRose83
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM

My son  is careless with things and I believe its because he is TOO smart. He started Kindergarten this year and reads on a 3-4th grade level. This stuff they are doing, he has been doing for 2 years now and I think he is incredibly bored so he just flies through things without thinking about them. We are in for a long year ahead as well. :-(

MamaJAG
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM

We have parent/teacher conferences coming up soon.  I sent her an email today. I am hoping it was just a guessing problem and not an actual knowledge problem.

Quoting silverdawn99:

talk to his teacher

it is most likely that he was just fast and did guess

MamaJAG
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM

We have parent/teacher conferences coming up. I also sent her an email.

Quoting Punkie74:

I would talk to his teacher and see if he is having any difficulties in class

MamaJAG
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I wouldn't say my son is TOO smart, but I do think it is very likely that he was careless and just marked answers without even thinking.  He was likely told he had to do it quickly and worried more about getting it done than getting it right.  Bleh.

Quoting MandaRose83:

My son  is careless with things and I believe its because he is TOO smart. He started Kindergarten this year and reads on a 3-4th grade level. This stuff they are doing, he has been doing for 2 years now and I think he is incredibly bored so he just flies through things without thinking about them. We are in for a long year ahead as well. :-(

Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Yes, he could be a bad/careless test taker. 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Quoting MamaJAG:

My dd is very smart and hates timed tests so she didn't do as well as she could have on her assessments last year.
Katenemsmom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Look up your state standards, those are a pretty good guide on what to work towards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN