Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

what should our wedding budget be?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM
  • 35 Replies

We recently got engaged...our wedding date isn't until 5-10-15 so there is plenty of time for planning. This is the 2nd marriage for both of us.Neither of our 1st weddings were anything special, so this one we want to actually celebrate and make everything unique and wonderful.

Between us we have 5 kids, only 4 of them live with us, the oldest is 5. We will be paying for absolutely everything ourselves. The guest list hasn't been thought about much yet but I know that it's prob under 100 people. We'll both be in our 30s by the time the wedding date comes. My body is difficult so I know the dress needs to either be special made just for me or have a ton of alterations. (I'm 4'9, 34DDD, hourglass figure so that's alterations on length and then whole dress so it fits bust and rest of me.)

I have no idea what we should try to budget for the wedding or what we can do to save money on it.any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated!

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kkillette91
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM
I just got married and with everyone else pitching in for decorations.and all we spent maybe 600 for everything including food. And it was pretty but simple.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaskedMomma
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Would you mind sharing some tips?

Quoting kkillette91:

I just got married and with everyone else pitching in for decorations.and all we spent maybe 600 for everything including food. And it was pretty but simple.

Arwyn724
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

It's good you are planning so early.  Do you have a venue in mind?  Color scheme?  Things can be bought in bulk or wholesale as far as decorations & flowers go. Silk arrangements can be made at any time and stored.  The final impact of the budget will hurt less, the more you pre-buy.  It is never to early to nail down some specifics, that way things like the dress can be done closer to the wedding, so fittings, etc. can be afforded.

MaskedMomma
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM

venue will either be a park or a little country church--- we havn't decided yet. no idea on color sceme. idk where to start on planning.

Quoting Arwyn724:

It's good you are planning so early.  Do you have a venue in mind?  Color scheme?  Things can be bought in bulk or wholesale as far as decorations & flowers go. Silk arrangements can be made at any time and stored.  The final impact of the budget will hurt less, the more you pre-buy.  It is never to early to nail down some specifics, that way things like the dress can be done closer to the wedding, so fittings, etc. can be afforded.

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM

we did 10k. it was nice. If you want it REALY fancy I would say 20k. you guys could say vows to the kids.

hudson.maggie
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM
We did ours with 3k. I would start buying things now(whether it be decor, pay for the bigger things-dress, venue,food etc).. If you want cheaper- check local colleges for a photographer most of them will do it for free or nearly free.. Also check colleges for food- some will do it for cheap or try local caterers who do it out of their home.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kkillette91
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:11 PM
We did bbq, slaw, hush puppies banana pudding for desert along with cake. Decorations we had someone make bows for pews. My aunt made my cake. It can be done simple but elegant. Family also fixed the food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM
For a nice wedding at least $10,000... More if you can manage.

Congrats! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaskedMomma
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Quoting hudson.maggie:

We did ours with 3k. I would start buying things now(whether it be decor, pay for the bigger things-dress, venue,food etc).. If you want cheaper- check local colleges for a photographer most of them will do it for free or nearly free.. Also check colleges for food- some will do it for cheap or try local caterers who do it out of their home.

good ideas thanks

hudson.maggie
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM
If your crafty at all I'd consider doing your own bouquets too! I did mine. I bought supplies from efavormart.com and its was a lot cheaper and pretty easy! :). Check local resale shops for dresses a lot of them have flowergirl dresses for $15 or less :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)