Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How much baby food?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM
  • 13 Replies
How much does your lo get and how old are they? Ds will be 8 months in a couple of days and eats 1-2 stage 2 baby foods a day ( 4 oz each). Usually he will have one jar or the equivalent oz in home made baby food or full fat plain yogurt and at dinner he has bits of our dinner. Those are for play and eating.
He eats more baby food by far than my 3 girls. They were never interested in foods until they were closer to a year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM
BUmp
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goobieville
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM

at 10 mo old, Mali eats the equivelent of 1 small jar of food a day. In addition he will eat about 3 table spoons of cereal and fruit. 

He will drink about 4 4oz bottles a day as well

little.worthen
by Tess on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM
My son hates baby food so he never really ate it. He just eats solids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM

My daughter refused to eat baby food by 10 months. I had to introduce regular food earlier than I planned on.

Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this
That doesn't seem like much....idk ds is only 3 mo & its been 4yrs since dd was that little

Quoting Goobieville:

at 10 mo old, Mali eats the equivelent of 1 small jar of food a day. In addition he will eat about 3 table spoons of cereal and fruit. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM
2 moms liked this

We skipped baby food and went straight to table food, and only after a full nursing session.  Until 1 yr, solids are just for fun - my kids could have as many table foods as they wanted as long as they had already nursed  :)

Kitschy
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

We skipped baby food. Here's a bump

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM
I was doing baby led solids but he seemed so hungry. He got really angry at the breast and wanted solids instead. I nurse first but most times if he wants solids he just won't nurse. I let him eat as much as he wants of bits of veggies and fruits or table food, but limit jar food. He could eat quite a lot of jar food if he got as much as he wanted. But I don't want him to fill up on solids and not have room for breastmilk.

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

We skipped baby food and went straight to table food, and only after a full nursing session.  Until 1 yr, solids are just for fun - my kids could have as many table foods as they wanted as long as they had already nursed  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Our rule is no solids until after a good nursing session - - I don't care how pissy babe gets, because I know it's for the best  :) 

Giving in and offering more solids rather than insisting he nurse, especially consistently, is like giving a picky todder a pb&j at every meal because they refuse everything else - it won't kill them, but we all know they need more than that, and they won't grow and thrive like they should if they are missing out on key vitamins and nutrients. 

As for jar food vs table food - - if you make sure he's filling up on breastmilk first (and he'll likely throw a fit about it),  and then offer him some healthy table foods as "desssert", he won't be hungry - it might take him a lo-o-o-o-ong time to finish  lol  but he won't go hungry.

Quoting norahsmommy:

I was doing baby led solids but he seemed so hungry. He got really angry at the breast and wanted solids instead. I nurse first but most times if he wants solids he just won't nurse. I let him eat as much as he wants of bits of veggies and fruits or table food, but limit jar food. He could eat quite a lot of jar food if he got as much as he wanted. But I don't want him to fill up on solids and not have room for breastmilk.

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Goobieville
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

it isnt eaten all at once. This is throughout the day- His cereal is whole flake oatmeal and his fruit is real fruit not from a jar. they fill faster on real food. He eats what we eat- not to mention this is an average. some days more, some days less. 

He drinks water throughout the day in addition to bottles.

He is a well fed child. My toddler is the same way. And both are a happy and at a healthy weight. 

Quoting Young_Mommy89:

That doesn't seem like much....idk ds is only 3 mo & its been 4yrs since dd was that little

Quoting Goobieville:

at 10 mo old, Mali eats the equivelent of 1 small jar of food a day. In addition he will eat about 3 table spoons of cereal and and 3 of fruit. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)