Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any musicians? Help with a school project for my daughter!

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM
  • 8 Replies
My daughter has decided to do a project for English about jazz her and her friend are going to do the report and then play a jazz song for the class. Now they need a jazz duet for the sax and flute. I had her send an email to her band teacher from last year but want to look around and try to find something in our own. So if you know where I can find the music or have some you would like to share it would be great! Thanks!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
melisawoosley
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Hmm let me think on that for a bit. Im sure i have some old stuff somewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quietmomma
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Hmmm...I played the flute for years, but never played anything jazzy.  There's gotta be something out there....try googling it??

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Awesome sauce! I have been looking and nothing is jazz!

Quoting melisawoosley:

Hmm let me think on that for a bit. Im sure i have some old stuff somewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM
When my daughter was in honor band last year they played the song from Austin powers it was pretty awesome to hear the whole band play it.

Quoting quietmomma:

Hmmm...I played the flute for years, but never played anything jazzy.  There's gotta be something out there....try googling it??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quietmomma
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Oh wow--that would be so fun to play!!  I miss playing with a band.  I love that feeling.  Good luck to your daughter.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

When my daughter was in honor band last year they played the song from Austin powers it was pretty awesome to hear the whole band play it.

Quoting quietmomma:

livn4hevn
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM

oooo flute and sax jazz? that's tough! I don't think I've ever had a flute in my jazz band lol. Have you tried looking up particular songs, and seeing if they come in a flute/sax arrangement? Typically you can find at LEAST something that was jazzy and made for flute, then if your daughter is capable, they could find the same arrangement for sax, and transpose it to the same key?

It'd be a lot of work but it's an option if you don't find anything else!

I would def START by looking for a flute song, and then look for a sax part that compliments. Are you looking for an Alto, tenor, bass or soprano sax part? My brother played jazz sax for a long time- he might have something to suggest!!!

Arwyn724
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Ebay has a book of 15 jazz songs, The Eric Dolphy Collection - Flute & Alto Sax Sheet Music $ 19.95 New

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM
I have no clue what kind of sax my daughter plays the flute hopefully her band teacher will be able to help.

Quoting livn4hevn:

oooo flute and sax jazz? that's tough! I don't think I've ever had a flute in my jazz band lol. Have you tried looking up particular songs, and seeing if they come in a flute/sax arrangement? Typically you can find at LEAST something that was jazzy and made for flute, then if your daughter is capable, they could find the same arrangement for sax, and transpose it to the same key?

It'd be a lot of work but it's an option if you don't find anything else!

I would def START by looking for a flute song, and then look for a sax part that compliments. Are you looking for an Alto, tenor, bass or soprano sax part? My brother played jazz sax for a long time- he might have something to suggest!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN