Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Mommy fail :(

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM
  • 34 Replies
I am very cautious when it comes to medicine and vitamins and keeping them away from my children. But today I sucked. I gave dd(7) her two vitamins and sat the bottle on the counter. Went upstairs to continue moving the rooms around. My ds was quiet and so I had to go look. He had something behind him, I could tell from his suspicious face. I found the vitamin bottle with only 4 left. It was close to a half bottle.

So I instantly made sure there was no iron and then called poison control and that's the first thing they asked. Then they checked about the vitamin A. And said he should be fine.

But I had a talk with him and how dangerous that can be. We've had this talk before. He's says hisself that he can't have more than two because he can get sick. I just know that I need to really put shit up. Thank goodness there was no iron or it could have been a lot scarier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM

How old is ds?   Yes You should put things up but he also should know never to touch any sort of pill bottles that mommy leaves down.

kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM
He is 4. And that's what I don't get. He will tell me how dangerous something is but he still will mess with things. It makes me so nervous.

I never dealt with this with dd.

Quoting frndlyfn:

How old is ds?   Yes You should put things up but he also should know never to touch any sort of pill bottles that mommy leaves down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto2boys973
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM
We all make mistakes, don't dwell over it. Thankfully, there was no harm done.
But learn from it. The instant you gave your child her vitamins, put them away. I don't know which ones you use, but pretty much all children's vitamins look like candy, so it's difficult to teach a child not to eat them.

Sharon
imuney
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Girl we all have mommy fails. Its just some people hide theirs and others are in denial.

kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Thank you.
And I'll definitely make sure every time they go back in their spot. I'm usually great about it. I'm paranoid about things like this.

Quoting momto2boys973:

But learn from it. The instant you gave your child her vitamins, put them away. I don't know which ones you use, but pretty much all children's vitamins look like candy, so it's difficult to teach a child not to eat them.

Sharon

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Definitely we all do. This isn't my first for sure and I know it won't be my last.

Quoting imuney:

Girl we all have mommy fails. Its just some people hide theirs and others are in denial.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM
A friend of mine left a bottle of tyelon out once and her kid got into it and ate about 6 or 7 of them. Had to make her throw up. What's sad is she says it happens all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy425906
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Mistakes are just part of being a mommy. Don't beat yourself up over it. You did really good calling poison control right away.

I give my 2 1/2 yr old the 'gummy' vitamins. He calls them fruit snacks. I have to be really careful with those!

Quoting momto2boys973:

Sharon

BlessedMommyNE
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM
We all make innocent mistakes sometimes. I had the same thing happen where I left the vitamin bottle out and out 2 year old at the time got ahold. Quite a few had been dumped down the toilet but he had a couple in his mouth when I found him. Called poison control like you. He was fine thank goodness. Scary feeling though! I still don't know how he got it open though because it was a child proof lid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Thank you. I had to call to be reassured our I wouldn't sleep AT ALL tonight.

These are the gummies too.

Quoting mommy425906:

Mistakes are just part of being a mommy. Don't beat yourself up over it. You did really good calling poison control right away.

I give my 2 1/2 yr old the 'gummy' vitamins. He calls them fruit snacks. I have to be really careful with those!

Quoting momto2boys973:

Sharon

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN