Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Has anyone had gallbladder surgery?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM
  • 21 Replies
My husband has to have gallbladder surgery on the 11th. Does anyone care t share their experiences good or bad? Thank you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Chase the Narcotic pain meds with stool softner...from the first pain pill he takes. Trust me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boldrumble
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Sure. Afterward tue air they put in makes the pain awful, but after that passes, totally worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
je412
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM
I had the old fashion one. Today it hurts but not as bad. Might have diarrhea for 2 weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soontobemommie3
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM
I have. My experience was good I suppose. Lol. Mine was an emergency situation so.....yea. As far as recovery it wasn't so bad. Just stay on top of pain meds! I have had to watch my diet to see what things cause my belly issues. I cannot eat pork, or ground hamburger. Dairy causes some issues. That's about it so far.

Does he already have pain? I get phantom pains sometimes. :( It reminds me of the attack. But, its gone in a flash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I had my GB out a couple of years ago now.  Anything too greasy or fatty and it's cramps and diarrhea.  Fresh spinach, too, IDK why.  Makes for an interesting day.  I am talking about how he will have to know where there bathroom is everywhere he goes.  The warning is really short.  You literally have almost no time to make it to the toilet.  On a good day, I go about 2-4 times and on a bad day, it can be 10 times.  It is no joke.  I find that I rarely have constipation, ever.  It has only hit me about once a year.  That version included not going for one single day, too.  

What happens is that they connect the liver that produces the enzymes that digest fat, directly into the small intestine, so instead of getting some when you eat fatty foods, you now have a constant, but slower flow.  This means that you do not digest larger amounts of fat, because you don't get enough enzyme to digest it all.  That leads to cramps and diarrhea.  It will take some time to get used to the change.  I am still finding odd things that I need to try to stay away from.  

He will need to take it easy and not lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, for about a month, after surgery.  I have had two C Sections and I was surprised by the longer recovery time.  Bending over is something to be delicate about for awhile.  Oh, and narcotics are going to be his best friend for at least a couple of weeks, maybe longer.  

Mommie_2_Boys
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM
This sums it up for me.

I csn't eat much dairy now. And anything greasy goes right through me

Quoting opal10161973:

I had my GB out a couple of years ago now.  Anything too greasy or fatty and it's cramps and diarrhea.  Fresh spinach, too, IDK why.  Makes for an interesting day.  I am talking about how he will have to know where there bathroom is everywhere he goes.  The warning is really short.  You literally have almost no time to make it to the toilet.  On a good day, I go about 2-4 times and on a bad day, it can be 10 times.  It is no joke.  I find that I rarely have constipation, ever.  It has only hit me about once a year.  That version included not going for one single day, too.  

What happens is that they connect the liver that produces the enzymes that digest fat, directly into the small intestine, so instead of getting some when you eat fatty foods, you now have a constant, but slower flow.  This means that you do not digest larger amounts of fat, because you don't get enough enzyme to digest it all.  That leads to cramps and diarrhea.  It will take some time to get used to the change.  I am still finding odd things that I need to try to stay away from.  

He will need to take it easy and not lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, for about a month, after surgery.  I have had two C Sections and I was surprised by the longer recovery time.  Bending over is something to be delicate about for awhile.  Oh, and narcotics are going to be his best friend for at least a couple of weeks, maybe longer.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahnicole234
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Sounds like me too...a combo of them both. mine waS takin out a year n a half ago.

Quoting Mommie_2_Boys:

This sums it up for me.

I csn't eat much dairy now. And anything greasy goes right through me

Quoting opal10161973:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockabillybetty
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM
It was a good experience i went in for my appendix and the saw i had gullstones so they took care of that asap. I havent noticed a thing different with my body. Just that i lose weight faster. Goodluck to him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennifer508
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Yes lots of pain. He has had pain for months and kept going to the doctor and so he put him on miralax, heartburn medicine and etc....and I have even taken him to the e.r. one night when he was in extreme pain. They thought he had gastritis and gave him stool softeners and stuff. I am a pro active wife and demanded they do tests to see what is going on. So finally they did a CT scan and discovered he had gallbladder stones and his gallbladder was very swollen. So we met with the surgeon and he is having surgery on the 11th. It pisses me off that it took so long for them to do something!

Quoting soontobemommie3:

I have. My experience was good I suppose. Lol. Mine was an emergency situation so.....yea. As far as recovery it wasn't so bad. Just stay on top of pain meds! I have had to watch my diet to see what things cause my belly issues. I cannot eat pork, or ground hamburger. Dairy causes some issues. That's about it so far.

Does he already have pain? I get phantom pains sometimes. :( It reminds me of the attack. But, its gone in a flash.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Kney-
by Courtney on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:36 AM
I went to the ER for pain found out it was my galbladder got it taken out the next day.. i had 26 stones n it was 3 times the normal size.. pain sucked but my boyfriend took great care of me and kept me up on my meds i couldnt lift of 72lbs which sucked since i was moving n couldnt drive for awhile but it healed great n i felt much better after it was done
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN