Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my 5 year old whines

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 36 Replies

my son is 5 and we have been through one hell of a nasty divorce. my ex physically abused my son during the divorce and there was other mental trauma when the my two kids went to their fathers but i have noticed that since we moved 300 miles away that my son is whining. my boyfriend is telling me that my son needs to stop whining, hes 5. HOW normal is it for a 5 year old to WHINE?. my daughter does it some times but shes 3. we just got him set up in school and have a therispist talking to my son at the school which is handy and i dont have to go out of school. any help would be nice, no bashing please i have been through enough crap from my ex husband. 

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wonderouslife84
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM

BUMP

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Pretty sure all 5 year olds whine to a degree.

Kinda sounds like bigger things need your attention than a whiny boyfriend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM

It's normal if they get something out of it.......children will continue a behavior that they profit from. My policy with whining is to simply ignore it. Once the child asks for something nicely or speaks in a non-whining tone of voice, then I'll acknowledge him or her, but whining gets you nothing from me. They quickly realize that it's not going to benefit them and quit doing it.   :)

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Its good hell be seeing a therapist. Having his parents divorce and being abused by his dad at that young age is a LOT to go through. What is he whining about usually?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marinewife55
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM
I work with higher level of care foster children and its very normal for a five year old who has been through trauma to whine. That being said, I think its wonderful he is seeing the school therapist. I would talk to her though and see if he needs more. Also, I suggest family therapy because as a family you have all been through a trauma together, therefore it affected everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Agree. Your bf needs to stfu and let you take care of your kids. Then, you can find a non-whiney boyfriend.

Quoting happymommy1105:

Pretty sure all 5 year olds whine to a degree.

Kinda sounds like bigger things need your attention than a whiny boyfriend.

wonderouslife84
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

my boyfriend has been very helpful in helping me out but this is kind of upsetting me. like him and his parents are the only ones who can raise my kids, they arent even blood lol. when it comes to parenting its my duty not theirs

wonderouslife84
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

like this morning my son didnt want to go back down stairs so he sat there and whined a tiny bit until i said i was going down to eat breakfast. 

Aamy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Normal. Kids whine at all ages ....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wonderouslife84
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Quoting Aamy:

Normal. Kids whine at all ages ....

thank you that is what i was thinking, not that i want it to go on but thank you 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)