Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
LADIES I HAVE A HORRIBLE COLD now I feel a lot of pressure in my left ear and it hurts what can I do besides going to the er if I go I will get a huge bill so my doc opens on Monday please help me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Replies (11-19):
drfink
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

They don't take appointments. You sign in at a kiosk when you get there. I've never had more than 1 person ahead of us in line and it only takes about 10 mins for them to get done. Not all CVS, Targets, Walgreens have a clinic though, so check online or call first to make sure. Those places are a lifesaver on the weekends or after 5pm!

Quoting Alejandra10:

Do you know if you need to call before or make an appoinment

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

What pp said.

Also, tomorrow go to a CVS minute clinic or Walgreens clinic, Target has them too. They will be your standard dr co-pays and they can write you a script for an antibiotic.

Warm compresses and tylenol helps too. GL!!

Wonderful concept.Last year late in the afternoon my then 15 year old came in with a fever and very painful ear.I knew it was a simple ear infection ,he was on school swim team and had swimmers ear a couple of times.Called our pedi ,it is Sunday The service tells us to go to the e.r. ...we have great ins but that would be hours and the next day was his first h.s. final.Ran up to a Walgreen's near us ,waited 15 minutes,she took a thorough history ,examined him ,wrote scripts for antibiotics and numbing drops.He was good to go and felt great for his finals the next day.

Later that week the nurse from the m.s.calls saying my eighth grader has the flu she thinks. Call Pedi,they couldn't get him in till the next day and with Christmas coming I was hoping for Tami Flu but it would be to late.We head to Walgreen's ,they do the Flu test ,he doesn't have it so he didn't need the meds.I was glad to know in case he had needed them.

Very professional and efficient for those minor illnesses that need to be checked.

AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM
If you're going to do anything with water please make sure it's purified or something not tap.

Remember those neti pot deaths?

Quoting grey7399:

Saline nasal rinse.  Warm water, 1/4 tsp of epsom salts, a needless syringe, put a folded towel on your lap, bend over, inject the water into your uppermost nostril, push the syringe flush with nasal passage.

the water will go up your nose, go across and gravity will pull it into the sinus passage and run out the bottom most nostril.

INSTANT relief.  Please try this, it works.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovinmybabas
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Idk. I might try warming some up because that's all I have. I have a horrible cold! :(

Quoting grey7399:

I've never used one.  Always did it this way.  But I don't see why not.  Can you warm them up?  That seems to be key for me.  If I weren't out of syringes thingies, I'd be in the bathroom now shooting stuff up my nose!  HAHAHA!!!!!!  damn allergies.

Quoting Lovinmybabas:

Can you use a store bought saline solution?

Quoting grey7399:

Saline nasal rinse.  Warm water, 1/4 tsp of epsom salts, a needless syringe, put a folded towel on your lap, bend over, inject the water into your uppermost nostril, push the syringe flush with nasal passage.

the water will go up your nose, go across and gravity will pull it into the sinus passage and run out the bottom most nostril.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graybealgirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
My bff tells me try cotton ball full of piss. Yes put in your ear really works. Sounds gross but it works
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grey7399
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I thought those were from bacteria in unclean neti pots?  Which is why I always use the needleless syringe.  I've always just used water from the tap but we have a well and our water heater is at ungodly hot temp (I LOVE IT!)

Quoting AM-BRAT:

If you're going to do anything with water please make sure it's purified or something not tap.

Quoting grey7399:

YoLoSoLo
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM
That sounds about right. I remember when my son was a newborn, the doctor gave him sea salt solution to cure his constant cough. He explained that some people have a hard time cleansing their sinuses on their own and sometimes need something similar to a "nose enema" lol....to help it drain itself naturally.

Quoting grey7399:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grey7399
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

The lady at the store I went to for salts said she uses a spoon.  So whatever you have on hand.  I really prefer the syringe thingy, it kind of forces up there.  You have to have your head in the just right position or gravity works.  lol

Quoting Lovinmybabas:

Idk. I might try warming some up because that's all I have. I have a horrible cold! :(

Quoting grey7399:

I've never used one.  Always did it this way.  But I don't see why not.  Can you warm them up?  That seems to be key for me.  If I weren't out of syringes thingies, I'd be in the bathroom now shooting stuff up my nose!  HAHAHA!!!!!!  damn allergies.

Quoting Lovinmybabas:

Can you use a store bought saline solution?

Quoting grey7399:

grey7399
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM

After you try it, let us know how that works out.  I'll try the warm onion thing.  Then we'll compare notes.

Quoting graybealgirl:

My bff tells me try cotton ball full of piss. Yes put in your ear really works. Sounds gross but it works

AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Oh I didn't know for sure.

As I understood it people were ising tap water.

Quoting grey7399:

I thought those were from bacteria in unclean neti pots?  Which is why I always use the needleless syringe.  I've always just used water from the tap but we have a well and our water heater is at ungodly hot temp (I LOVE IT!)

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Quoting grey7399:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN