Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Question for Moms that live in Philadelphia

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM
  • 8 Replies

How easy is family life there?

What are the schools like?

Do you have any issues with crime?

The reason I'm asking is that I spent a bit of time this week there, and with the art scene the way it is there, vs where I am in Harrisburg, I'm considering a move. DH works from home, and I work for the state, so both he and I can relocate with no issues. But, I'm wondering what it's really like there...

I know parking is a pain in the butt, but what would you tell a family that was looking to move to the Soceity Hill/Center City/Queen's Village areas of town?

Photobucket

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't live in the city, but I live in the burbs. The school system is horrible. I hope you can afford private school or Catholic school. The best area to live in the city is Northern Liberties, Fairmount/Museum area, Society Hill and Old City. If you decide to move to the burbs I recommend the following school districts: Interboro, Ridley, Wallingford/Swarthmore, Rose Tree/Media, Garnet Valley, West Chester, Springfield, Marple Newtown, and Penn/Delco in Delaware County. 

itsblissmas
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I don't live there but here's a bump for you.

FooLynRoo
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't live in center city or queens village but that's just me.

I would also send my kid to a private or charter school.

I loved being in the Far north east, and I love where i am now (just over the bridge inNJ)

I love Philadelphia, but some places just aren't great to live imo

FooLynRoo
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM

are you kidding me Delco is getting as bad as the city.

Meh - move north of the city or to jersey if you want proximity and decent quality of life.

Quoting Sportbominable:

I don't live in the city, but I live in the burbs. The school system is horrible. I hope you can afford private school or Catholic school. The best area to live in the city is Northern Liberties, Fairmount/Museum area, Society Hill and Old City. If you decide to move to the burbs I recommend the following school districts: Interboro, Ridley, Wallingford/Swarthmore, Rose Tree/Media, Garnet Valley, West Chester, Springfield, Marple Newtown, and Penn/Delco in Delaware County. 

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't live there anymore but Philly is my home.

Crime is part of the deal when you live in big cities but you mentioned Society hill so you will be fine there is always somewhere to go you will be in walking distance to everything.

Its a great place to teach kids about history and science . There a tons of places to take your kids. A car is rarely needed plus the traffic is bad

If your pockets can afford to I would go private. I went through the philadelphia public school system trust me its over crowded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Quoting FooLynRoo:

I loved being in the Far north east, and I love where i am now (just over the bridge inNJ)

Living in the suburbs is hard for me. I grew up in a city, and I lived in a city until last year. Then we let my husband pick where we lived, and we started renting this cute house in the suburbs. I am going crazy, slowly. I can't walk to anything, I feel like anything we want to do we have to drive to do, we miss all of the awesome little festivals in the city, all of the shopping and coffee shops and my neighbors are kinda creepy and are constantly watching us and what we do. My neighbors were having fits because of all of my son's friends coming over for his birthday a couple of weeks ago. One of the neighbors walked up to my husband and said "You guys sure do know a lot of colored people." Had the neighbor said that to me, I'd have probably punched him. My son goes to a private school, and my son is half-Filipino so he looks different than the rest of the family does anyways.

But, I do appreciate the advice!

Photobucket

FooLynRoo
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

You live near Harrisburg - no offense but that's like hicks ville.

Suburbs of phill and the outter neighborhoods like in the northeast - are very much city neighborhoods.

Maybe you guys should take a weekend down and explore all parts of the city

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Living in the suburbs is hard for me. I grew up in a city, and I lived in a city until last year. Then we let my husband pick where we lived, and we started renting this cute house in the suburbs. I am going crazy, slowly. I can't walk to anything, I feel like anything we want to do we have to drive to do, we miss all of the awesome little festivals in the city, all of the shopping and coffee shops and my neighbors are kinda creepy and are constantly watching us and what we do. My neighbors were having fits because of all of my son's friends coming over for his birthday a couple of weeks ago. One of the neighbors walked up to my husband and said "You guys sure do know a lot of colored people." Had the neighbor said that to me, I'd have probably punched him. My son goes to a private school, and my son is half-Filipino so he looks different than the rest of the family does anyways.

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM

No offense taken. Yeah, I know. Harrisburg is hicks-ville compared to Detroit where I grew up and San Francisco where I lived for a long time. I always laugh because all of the "thugs" here think they're so hardcore and mean.

We're planning on taking a family trip down there soon. We're definately going to do some more checking into all of the areas that would be best for us. But it helps to have an idea of where to look. =)

Quoting FooLynRoo:

You live near Harrisburg - no offense but that's like hicks ville.

Suburbs of phill and the outter neighborhoods like in the northeast - are very much city neighborhoods.

Maybe you guys should take a weekend down and explore all parts of the city

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)