Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is she too young??

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have DD (she will be 4 in December) in two dance classes at the moment, Pre-ballet/Tap & Intro to Musical theatre.. She loves them both and really shines in her MT class. I initially put her in MT due to the fact she was bugging me all week to go to dance (each class is only once a week), I was also hoping it would help her with paying attention and listening better. The first day of class she wasnt very good and I was worried she wouldnt do well. However, the teacher provides a VERY structured class and in just a few short weeks she is doing sooo amazing and listening better than the older kids (the class is ages 3-6). Im definitely proud of her and glad I made the decision to keep her in the class. The teacher is great with the kids and doesnt let them run all around and not listen like the other classes.

So the teacher emailed me yesterday and said how proud she was of my daughterfor improving so much in just a few short weeks. She also said she felt my daughter had such a lovely voice and suggested she would do well in her Voice Group class (they already do a little singing in the MT class).. But im not so sure about that, I feel like she is too young for a voice class. But at the same time she LOVES to sing, she listens to music and sings all day long. But how can you tell if a 4 year old has a nice voice?? DH and I are discussing the issue but i'm just not sure if i'm comfortable with the idea of it. I think maybe it would be better kept off until shes atleast 6. What do you ladies think??

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tigress22304
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I'd let her do it! If DD is really interested,I'd let her at least try! My cousin started out when she was 3 in tap/ballet and it escalated into singing/acting-she was in her high school's theater group/drama club/choir-and she's now involved with a local theater group doing what she loves putting on plays and having fun :)

LaughingTattoo
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I would let her give it a try, just dont become one of those pushy moms! lol

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
She is to young for voice. My mil teaches voice and will not teach my daughter age five yet because she is too young.
mjande4
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Quoting ambermario4ever:

She is to young for voice. My mil teaches voice and will not teach my daughter age five yet because she is too young.

This.
Arwyn724
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I was a soloist at age five.  My oldest sang with a very prestigeous Chorale on scholarship all through high school, she started musical theatre in 1st grade.  If done properly, it will strengthen her voice, not ruin it.  Make sure the voice coach is well qualified.

eema.gray
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM

This.  The teacher should be specifically trained to teach voice to young children.  She should be teaching them breath control, she should be teaching them how to sing without forcing their voices to high or low notes.  If done well, it will be a fantastic foundation to build on if she wants to sing or act when she's older.

Quoting Arwyn724:

I was a soloist at age five.  My oldest sang with a very prestigeous Chorale on scholarship all through high school, she started musical theatre in 1st grade.  If done properly, it will strengthen her voice, not ruin it.  Make sure the voice coach is well qualified.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
grey7399
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I think its a good idea.  

Italiancouture7
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Im not sure what well qualified would be.. this definitely isnt my area of expertise. Her bio says this about her though..

she received her BFA in Musical Theatre from the University of Florida, and after several years of performing professionally in NYC, she received her Masters in Theatre in 2003 from the University of Kentucky, where she continued to professor as adjunct faculty during 2004. After spending 2005 back in NYC working professionally in Musical Theatre she moved back to Florida.

Would that be well qualified?? I have no idea ! lol

Quoting eema.gray:

This.  The teacher should be specifically trained to teach voice to young children.  She should be teaching them breath control, she should be teaching them how to sing without forcing their voices to high or low notes.  If done well, it will be a fantastic foundation to build on if she wants to sing or act when she's older.

Quoting Arwyn724:

eema.gray
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I would want to know what training/experience she has working with young children.  Maybe talk to some of the parents who have had kids in the voice group class for awhile.

Quoting Italiancouture7:

Im not sure what well qualified would be.. this definitely isnt my area of expertise. Her bio says this about her though..

she received her BFA in Musical Theatre from the University of Florida, and after several years of performing professionally in NYC, she received her Masters in Theatre in 2003 from the University of Kentucky, where she continued to professor as adjunct faculty during 2004. After spending 2005 back in NYC working professionally in Musical Theatre she moved back to Florida.

Would that be well qualified?? I have no idea ! lol

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting Arwyn724:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM
If it was dd I would ask her what she wanted to do. If she wants to try it let her. If it becomes to overwhelming let her know it is ok and she can try it again later if she wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN