Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Appropriate punishment for hair cutting?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM
  • 124 Replies

Edit: can't believe this is still going
1)my daughter is not newly 4, she is almost 5
2) I was punishing her bc it's NOT the first time, she's aware that she can't cut her own hair- that being said, the last time she did it was nearly a year ago so it's not an on going thing.
3) sorry for those who disagree but I don't adapt the world to my kids, they adapt to the world. I see no problem whatsoever with her having a pair of plastic scissors in her art box. Half of her homework involves cutting stuff to develop motor skills. Granted, the scissors are away at the moment unless she asks for them, but under normal circumstances- um, a kid her age can freely use plastic scissors in my book.
4) has nothing to do with me restricting her style. The kid dresses like a nutjob half the time and thinks she looks cool- and I let her. If she wanted to shave her head- id let her- I don't care about that stuff- but if she wants a certain style shell go to a salon like a normal person-she won't just randomly hack off stuff.
5) she does cut her dolls hair- yes, and it's with my permission - I don't see that as mutilation- and she actually does ask before she cuts it. She knows the difference between cutting a dolls hair and her own. She's being punished for being disobedient - she was NOT punished the first time she did it nearly a year ago but was told shed be in trouble if she did it again.

Am I really that crazy for letting my daughter have some semblance of independence and giving her the opportunity to Learn how to act appropriately rather than forcing her to by default?

My 4 year old cut her hair again.
This is the 2nd time she's done it (last time was probably 8 months ago- she was not "punished" as I figured she really didn't grasp when she was doing, and I had let her cut and style her dolls' hair so we just had a talk, and she had messed up looking hair for awhile (it was so bad we did the best we could at the salon)
So now she did it again- and before any of the saintly moms here tell me I shouldn't have left scissors around - it was a pair of safety plastic scissors - its kept in her easel/drawer. She does quite a bit of artwork and I'm more of the "you will learn to use this appropriately" rather than the "I am going to hide everything from you and monitor every object you play with"
Now she KNOWS very well she was not supposed to cut her hair - trust me we've discussed the past incident many many times.
I'm toying with the idea of a pixie cut to show her if she's going to cut her hair, she'll have it all cut off- but I don't have the heart or backbone- I don't think at least.
What would you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiliMama18
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2boys03
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM

what was her reason for cutting it again?  I know when I cut my hair at that age it was because my bangs were falling in my face and I wanted them gone.  I wold find out and go from there

LiliMama18
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Does she not care about what her hair looks like? If you told her you were cutting it very short now, would she be bothered by it?
Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont think a punishment is necessary for cutting her hair.. maybe for using the scissors if she isnt supposed to cause maybe there is a danger aspect depending on how old she is.
i would find out WHY she is doing it and i would see if she wants a specific hairstyle that she would like.  maybe if she has a cut she likes she will leave it alone.  how old is she?

braezmommy89
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I cut my hair when I was little & my mom took me to the salon & made them give me a "boys" haircut.

I havent cut my hair since!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christy1919
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM

First time shame on her.  Second time shame on you.  Put the scissors away

momswag
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Why can't she cut her hair? It's her hair and it's not hurting or ruining anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I wouldn't do anything.  It's HER hair.  As a mom, if I knew she had record of chopping off her hair, i would take the scissors away from her and she wouldn't be allowed to use them for any reason.  That pretty much fixes it.

LiliMama18
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM
I'll find out but there's no way the bangs were in her face- we just had them trimmed at the salon a week or two ago. I am sitting outside to calm down.
She had brought her pony over to show that she trimmed her pony's hair when I noticed she had chopped off her own

Quoting mommy2boys03:

what was her reason for cutting it again?  I know when I cut my hair at that age it was because my bangs were falling in my face and I wanted them gone.  I wold find out and go from there

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN