Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

No pets allowed unless "medically neccessary"..

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

But so many of my healthy neighbors have pets. What would be a medical reason to get a pet (aside from hearing and seeing problems)? I just can't figure it out.

~Samantha
Proud Mommy to a baby girl born March 15, 2010 and a baby boy born October 25, 2011

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsCota8210
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Therapy pets. My best friend has a therapy dog for her bad anxiety
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaelaasmom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM
People with certain mental and emotional disorders can get prescriptions for owning animals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM

They cant have pets just to have them?  Or are they claiming the animals are companion/working pets?  Many dogs are used for psychological things as well as seizures.    We have one just because i love cats and he does alot to comfort my guy when he isnt feeling well.

whowhat
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Diabetes, seizures, mental issues
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I was able to have a pet in a place that only allowed pets for medical reasons for fibromyalgia.  My worst areas are my knees which walking/exercising at all not appealing whatsoever.  Having a dog (to not only love and bond with) made it to where I HAD to go walk and battle through the pain so that my dog could live a healthy lifestyle.  He was encouragement for me when I did not have it controlled.  I have it controlled now though so I don't need him as my motivation lol.  He's just my baby doggy.

teenmom0305
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM

seizures, diabetes, severe anxiety are a few that you cant tell a person has just by looking at them and you can have a service dog.

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this

There are dogs that can predict epileptic seizures and diabetic issues, dogs that help the elderly with things like opening doors, getting a phone if they are hurt, etc., and there are therapy pets who are used by people with severe depression or anxiety. 

jillbailey26
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM

We have cats because we like cats.  Having a pet adds years to your life.  

*ETA*  And I just reread, lol.  There are service dogs who help various types of disabilities.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

samantha.7272
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Thanks, all the reasons make sense!

xmkj2011
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM
When I lived with my mom, we were able to.have pets for my therapy, they were the family pets but they were mine and I used them for special reasons, for example they were used to help me xope and relax and all that due to my mental issues/problems. You have to have a doctor right a letter saying that its neccessary for you to have it, they will need to put the animals name, breed, and type (dog,cat,etc.) If you cant have that, I would try to find somewhere else to live if you really want a pet...i would personally lol. Good luck sweetheart!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)