Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone stressed about the Holidays this year?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM
  • 17 Replies

Ok I have 4 kids 3 of them have birthdays in November and December. There ages are 14,12,10,8. I budgeted 100 each for birthdays and 100 total for Christmas. So 700 total. I do not want to use credit cards and I also have a new baby nephew to buy for my parents and my sister. Money is tight and I started budgeting in September. Do you think I could get away with cutting the 100 per kid to 75 per kid? I have to do stockings as well. Could you do it? How much do you spend per kid or does it vary? I have not budgeted for holiday meals as we do a potluck. Anyone else feel stressed?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lapcounter
by Super Mom on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Nope not at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

You should talk to your children. I would guess all but the 8 know about santa. I would ask them for a list and let the older ones know $75 is the limit. I also would do less for birthday so I could do more for Christmas.If you are near carters stores you could get the new nephew a cute outfit for less than $10. For Parents find a craft to do with your kids. Or do a coupon books from all of you. In it put things like 1 free kitchen floor wash, 1 lawn mowing, 1 movie night with the grandkids, baking with (choose a child) make it fun.

LuvMyBoy08
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Nope, I'm exited this year.....my DH comes home from Afghanistan!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this

We do 4 gifts for everyone , something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read...that totally reduces the stress. On years we have less money, they still get the 4 gifts, just less expensive ones...

SahmTutu
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Nope, we're set this year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelgrl5200
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM
nope! not stressing! my kids have been warned they wont be getting much because we are moving 6 months later and wont be able to take everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dimples04
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. Had my girls stuff in layaway for a while now. I'm due withdd#2 12/10, so I'm not waiting til the last min.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PlaysAllDay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I have 4 kids and 3 of them have birthdays in Nov & Dec! The 23,24th of Nov and 17th of Dec. I do feel stressed but only because so much happening at once. My kids are young so they don't know any better. I would have each kid write a list. Stockings can be cheap. IDK why parents insist on filling them with expensive things. When I was akid I got fruit, a few pieces of candy, and maybe a new lip gloss or bow. That's what I do for my kids. Last year I did 6 stockings for $30.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MandaRose83
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

No we won't be stressed this year. We never really are stressed. But this year my husband gets a nice check for retro pay that his company owes him so we are okay. We still don't go all out though. I have 3 boys and due with my 4th baby and this house is FULL of crap they don't need nor do they play with. I won't be contributing to that pile of crap anytime soon! lol! They will get one big item a piece and few small things plus stockings and thats it.

coleysmama
by Lisa on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Super stressed. Broke my leg and tore all my ankle lihaments in Aug and having complications. I'm currently home and wheelchair bound :(
Christmas is "My" holiday. We have it at my home with the in-laws. I do all the cooking. I am panicing about all of it because my kids are already suffering due to my being temporarily disabled. All shopping will be done online. I'm thinking of cooking all dishes besides the turkey 2 days ahead of time and packing it in trays to reheat that day. Did that a few yrs ago because was going to be too busy and it was still better than my SIL's horrible food...lol
We typically budget $350 for the 14 yr old(his gifts cost more for less) $250 for the 4 yr old (who couldn't care less...lol) and about $100 for adult daughter and $100 for adult stepson(they don't live at home). We'll also have our first grandchild this year.I'll guess about $125 for that cutie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN