Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should unvaccinated children be allowed to attend public schools? Tell us what you think!

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM
  • 518 Replies

More than 1 in 10. That's the proportion of parents who skip some vaccines or delay the age at which they're given, according to a 2011 study published in the journal Pediatrics. Are you one of them, or know someone who is?

PARADE and CafeMom know this is a hot-button issue for many parents, and want to know what you think: Should unvaccinated children be permitted in public schools? Is it okay for pediatricians to refuse care for families who won't vaccinate children?

Weigh in on these issues and more by clicking here and taking the poll!

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM
11 moms liked this

Why shouldn't they go to a public school?  

And yes, I think it's okay for Pediatricians to refuse care to anyone they choose.  It's their business.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Night_Roane
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Little booger does. She hasn't gotten any other kids sick or been sick herself (other than a tummy bug). She's also had the chicken pox shot AND the chicken pox, so no worries about her spreading that. In fact, I had sent her to daycare with the chicken pox (didn't know she had it, because it didn't present properly due to the vaccine) and the doctor's reaction when I told him was just "oh well, they're either going to get it or they're not". But nobody else did.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

SevenKisses
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM
10 moms liked this

Of course they should be able to. They are no more or less healthy than a vaccinated child. It would wrong to deny entrance to a public school, especially if we are talking cases where the child could DIE from vaccinations, or their religious beliefs keep them from doing so.

As for the pediatricians, they can do as they like.

I am a non-vaccinating mother.

happinessforyou
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM
3 moms liked this

I was the Health Clerk for several years at a middle school and it was our District's policy that all kids be vaccinated. However, the lady I took over from told the parents that if they didn't have their kids updated, for whatever reason, to just mark "religious objection" and they wouldn't have to do it. Which really meant that if you didn't want to take the time to have this done you don't have to. They even held *******FREE**** shot clinics and a lot of parents just would not make the effort. Go figure....

If you object from an educated position, and spread out shots or only get certain shots, I can support an informed decision. But because you are just too lazy is wrong.

carlycarson
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't so no I don't think kids that aren't should be denied to go to school. The school just has me get a paper notorized. In my experience I've seen the ones that are vaxed get sick more. Mine havent been too sick or anything major. If the others are vaxed then the parents shouldn't worry about their kids getting sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bramamber
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

Why shouldn't they go to a public school?  

And yes, I think it's okay for Pediatricians to refuse care to anyone they choose.  It's their business.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Sure they should go to public school

And yes any dr should be able to refuse acre if they don't agree with the way their patient is being cared for.

PurplePieguy
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Sure they should be able to.

And yes, any doctor should be able to refuse services if they don't agree with the parents choices to not vaccinate.

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM
4 moms liked this
Imho Nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluesky51201
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes they should.  I read the article in Parade and I was just speechless.  Some children cannot handle vaccines or they have conditions that could be fatal if they were vaccinated.  It should be up to the parents if vaccines are given or are delayed.  I was floored to see that Washington wants to take legislative action to force parents to vaccinate.  I am a parent who delays/selectively vaxes.  My middle child got very ill after receiving a full series at four months old.  I do not want to repeat a 104 degree fever with a lethargic child.  I choose to space vaccines out and give no more than two at a time.  I determine which ones are the most necessary and hold off on things like hepatitis.  I'm sorry that some children contract diseases that we can vaccinate against but I am not risking the health of my children for others.  Mine get everything but they get it on a very delayed schedule.  Its not right to say my children should not be allowed to attend school just because I do not want to flood their bodies with large doses of chemicals in one round for the sake of convenience.

As far as the doctors they can choose not to see children who are not vaxed or selectively vaxed.  We are fortunate to have a pediatrician who completes supports our decision and agrees with us that this is the best course of action for our children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)