Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
What's your view on mobile homes? Do you live in one? Would you live in one? Do you think they're "trashy?"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Replies (31-40):
mes_deux_amours
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:12 AM
My view is that I'd never choose to live in one; own or rent one. I see them as temporary, not a permanent home.

We own a house, built from the ground up. It's what we prefer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I was in a double wide the other day for a party, it was very nice.  The trailer park was also very nice, with lots of space.  But that was the only time I've been in a trailer park that didn't feel trashy.  I've heard of a lot of people getting a nice trailer and putting it on property and fixing up the place real nice.  I don't think that's trashy at all..but then the tornado factor is what scares me.  I think of the 3 little pigs.  If my house is gonna blow down, I want a basement.

Rhonda142
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:19 AM

We just bought one couldn't tell the difference from this from a house from the inside. I have a huge kitchen which is something I never had before. This is a 2003 16x80 and we just finished putting wood laminate floors in it and I am in the process of renovating the kitchen. I love it when I am done it will be gorgeous and it helps we live by a lake it is gorgeous to do the dishes in the morning and watch the swans swimming by out back. 

Financially it was a good choice we were tired of renting and we will have this paid off in 3 more years then no house payment besides the usual lot rent but I cannot complain paying so lil a month. I totally hate the stereotype about "trailer park/trash" I have seen some mobile homes nicer than a few houses. I call this my Mobile Mansion lol. This place everyone takes pride in their homes and take very good care inside and out.

AleaKat
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:24 AM
I live in a very nice home owners association with nothing but mobile homes and most of them with the exception if a few are extremely nice.
I love ours . Wrap around deck built on 3 bed 2 bath including master bed and bath, huge kitchen with island , very open( I hate hallways).

I think the trashy ones have become kind if a stereotype. Iv seen some disgusting ones. Rusted and trash in the yard, my sister even lived in one a long time ago that had a bullet hole in the living room wall. Lol
I guess you do what is in your means but me personally I'd cry if I had to live in some of the trailer parks iv seen.
We live in the mountains and tornados never touch down here.
We have over an acre if land with it
Siding like a regular home
Pretty landscaping
Our modular or mobile whatever you wanna call it , I'd nicer than slot of houses iv seen.
We have even changed alot of things to standard house sizes like our doors and a tankless water heater, new shingled roof
Walk in closets
Jacuzzi tub
Wish we had a garage though
High ceilings
Lots of windows for natural light
Home theatre system
Laundry room
A breakfast nook and a formal dining room
Honestly don't remember the sq footage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stykir
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:24 AM

we lived in one growing up til i was in 3rd grade then we got a house. and for the first 5 years of my marriage i lived in one also. last year we bought a double wide mobile home. i don't care. if you take care of it it can be just fine. i have grandparents and other relatives who live in a mobile home and they are clean and tidy inside, so it's not a big deal.

AleaKat
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Metal ones get rusted and nasty I hate them. Ours has siding and actually looks like a stick built house

Quoting shadow_lark:

I would as long as it isn't metal. Im a snob like that. idk if i would call them trashy, but there is definitly a stigma attached to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MisfitInTN
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:28 AM
You couldn't pay me to live in one. They are trashy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:28 AM
We have one similar. Nicer than some houses

Quoting pasteeater:

I have a modular home. Some say it's called a mobile home some don't. I say it's my home and I love it. It's three bedrooms, three full baths two car garage the master bedroom is huge. You can fit three queen beds in there. There's two in there now. We have a walk through closet that is as wide as the room. My bathroom has a huge spa tub. We have a fire place but never use it. It's too hot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HousewifeNina
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:40 AM
In general I have a negatove association w them. If I had to choose between that and an apt I think Id do the trailer tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
insanemomof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:43 AM
For the past 15 yrs we have lived in a mobile home. Its cramped for us as theyre are 6 of us. The one we live in now isnt much better but its somewhere to rest our heads at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)