Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

This is SOOOO messed up!!! What would you do??

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM
  • 18 Replies

WEIRD NEWS: Mom, 1-Year-Old Child Live Alongside Squatter Who Refuses to Leave Their Detroit Home

Heidi Peterson says a squatter moved into her home about a month ago while she and her one-year-old baby weren’t living in the house. The woman re-worked the plumbing, changed the locks, put up her own photos … and now, won’t leave. So, she, Peterson, and Peterson’s little one are sleeping under the same roof.

It gets stranger, folks.

“She thinks this is a program in Detroit to take people’s homes and fix them up and then she gets to keep them,” Peterson told a local news station.

Under the current law, a homeowner cannot remove a squatter by force. Peterson said she’s currently trying to file a civil action suit to prove that the home is her property and to evict the lady who has planted roots.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I would all the police and say she threatened suicide and have her put on a 72 hour hold in a hospital.  Change the locks and toss her stuff. 

mes_deux_amours
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:23 AM
Was the house abandoned when the stranger moved in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

It says the owner was not living there when the sqwatter moved in. Ot implies it I think. I dont think it matters tho. Even if the city owned it, the sqwatter had no right to take up residence in my eyes.

Aslen
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:27 AM
It wasn't abandoned though

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blazenangel5
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Weird! I wouldn't think it'd be ok for anyone to move into a home that isn't theirs ...period. it's trespassing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:38 AM
I'm just trying to understand how this happens. I know in abandoned home squatters are common, since the mortgage crisis started there's been quite a few instances.

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

It says the owner was not living there when the sqwatter moved in. Ot implies it I think. I dont think it matters tho. Even if the city owned it, the sqwatter had no right to take up residence in my eyes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyBugs
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:41 AM
2 moms liked this

i will never understand how the law protects someone who is breaking the law righ tin front of their noses...kinda like those people who rob someone's home, they get shot in the process and sue and win against the homeowner...wtf is wrong with America, we have so many rights and these are the people we help protect...wtf

mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannieP
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:44 AM
That's crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:45 AM
From what I read the lady had moved out and came back to find the other woman living in her house.....and she took out a lein on the house how is that possible

Quoting momdoes:

WEIRD NEWS: Mom, 1-Year-Old Child Live Alongside Squatter Who Refuses to Leave Their Detroit Home

Heidi Peterson says a squatter moved into her home about a month ago while she and her one-year-old baby weren’t living in the house. The woman re-worked the plumbing, changed the locks, put up her own photos … and now, won’t leave. So, she, Peterson, and Peterson’s little one are sleeping under the same roof.

It gets stranger, folks.

“She thinks this is a program in Detroit to take people’s homes and fix them up and then she gets to keep them,” Peterson told a local news station.

Under the current law, a homeowner cannot remove a squatter by force. Peterson said she’s currently trying to file a civil action suit to prove that the home is her property and to evict the lady who has planted roots.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN