Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A sneak peak at unschooling:

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM
  • 159 Replies
2 moms liked this

Both my kids are home from school today. They have slight fevers and coughs but they're really feeling fine. They go to an alternative Reggio Emilia based school that's a compromise between me and their dad (we're divorced). If it were up to me we would be crazy unschoolers, but "traditional" schooling was important to dad. So, we met in the middle. But, days like today make me really, really wish we could unschool! 

The kids built a downhill lego-traintrack. They observed that lego trains with more blocks were heavier and went faster down the ramp. We discussed possible reasons for this. We used youtube to watch videos geared to kids about inertia, mass and acceleration.

Discovered that it took greater force to stop the heavier train than the light train due to the principle of inertia and that's why it seemed to move faster. It wasn't as easily slowed by bumps in the track. 

Then we watched a youtube video of rollercoasters that illustrated all these points for us. 

Annnnnd this is what my house would look like everyday if we unschooled. Did I mention I'm still wearing PJ's and the kids are running around in undies?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomma06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM
7 moms liked this
I personally like school because i feel it prepares them for college and even work life. They get into the routines which they will need for the rest of their lives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redhead-bedhead
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM
That's awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imnotbarbie03
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting alexsmomma06:

I personally like school because i feel it prepares them for college and even work life. They get into the routines which they will need for the rest of their lives.

School doesn't really prepare you for the college routine, imo.

In college you choose the courses you like based on your interests, yes, a few things are required but most requirements you pick from a group of classes.

Your humanities requirement, history requirement, math requirement, lab science requirement etc. - there are choices and you choose what appeals to you most. 

Even in my psych degree, there are 3 classes each in Core A, Core B and Core C and I chose the one that appealed to me most. 

I also chose what time I wanted to take my classes and I chose to take many of them online so that I wouldn't be forced into someone else's schedule.

I wouldn't enjoy having a job with a rigid schedule either. I have a choice and I choose not to work in fields that require the 9 to 5 routine. I think there's value in teaching kids that they DO have a choice.

imnotbarbie03
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

bumping - there are no other moms like me who dream of unschooling or homeschooling? Really?

eema.gray
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I love doing preschool at home for the exact same reason.  The internet is a HUGE boon to homeschooling!

CheyennesMommy2
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Def not for my family. I looked into homeschool and we still have decided to send the girls to a private school. Imo unschooling, isnt going to look great when they apply to college. I prefer my kids get a good, real start on there life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I guess you could say we are middle of the road. We have our books amd worksheets and a basic schedule, but, most days I let them learn through hands on. We made bread one day and learned math, science and culture all at once lol we made several different types of breads and discussed where they came from etc.... we have spent days in the backyard exploring....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomma06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting imnotbarbie03:

Quoting alexsmomma06:

School doesn't really prepare you for the college routine, imo.

In college you choose the courses you like based on your interests, yes, a few things are required but most requirements you pick from a group of classes.

Your humanities requirement, history requirement, math requirement, lab science requirement etc. - there are choices and you choose what appeals to you most. 

Even in my psych degree, there are 3 classes each in Core A, Core B and Core C and I chose the one that appealed to me most. 

I also chose what time I wanted to take my classes and I chose to take many of them online so that I wouldn't be forced into someone else's schedule.

I wouldn't enjoy having a job with a rigid schedule either. I have a choice and I choose not to work in fields that require the 9 to 5 routine. I think there's value in teaching kids that they DO have a choice.

You get to choose your classes based on the degree you are going for, but that doesn't mean you get to pick the times or days that the classes are.  Not every class you take will be flexible, most of them are take what you are told.

90% of careers have some sort of a schedule. It is rare to have a job that is that flexible. Most people are subject to the schedule that is handed out to them and if you are not willing to work it you no longer have a job.They may choose to go into a field that allows that flexibility but they may not, and transitioning into a set schedule may be harder for them.

I think that it is wonderful that you take the time to sit and teach your children while they are at home.  I do the same but also send them to school. We continue or better explain whatever they learn in school once they get home. I think you came to a great compromise with your ex, giving them the best of both worlds.

MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM
3 moms liked this
Not me. I would kill my youngest.

Quoting imnotbarbie03:

bumping - there are no other moms like me who dream of unschooling or homeschooling? Really?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KMAsMommy9182
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM

What is the difference between "unschooling" and homeschooling?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN