Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Both my kids are home from school today. They have slight fevers and coughs but they're really feeling fine. They go to an alternative Reggio Emilia based school that's a compromise between me and their dad (we're divorced). If it were up to me we would be crazy unschoolers, but "traditional" schooling was important to dad. So, we met in the middle. But, days like today make me really, really wish we could unschool! 

The kids built a downhill lego-traintrack. They observed that lego trains with more blocks were heavier and went faster down the ramp. We discussed possible reasons for this. We used youtube to watch videos geared to kids about inertia, mass and acceleration.

Discovered that it took greater force to stop the heavier train than the light train due to the principle of inertia and that's why it seemed to move faster. It wasn't as easily slowed by bumps in the track. 

Then we watched a youtube video of rollercoasters that illustrated all these points for us. 

Annnnnd this is what my house would look like everyday if we unschooled. Did I mention I'm still wearing PJ's and the kids are running around in undies?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Replies (101-110):
moneysaver6
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM
I'm the same way. I have to get up, shower, & start my day...even if I'm not going anywhere that day.

I also make my kids get up, shower, & dress even if we're not going anywhere.

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

I think its cool but I guess I just like the routine of sending my kids to school and having them coming home. I can't stay in my jammies all day. It makes me feel sleepy and lazy. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmama411
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM

yea, well, my kids learn that shit everyday AFTER school and on weekends...oh, and during summers and breaks....PLUS they are learning traditioinal shit that most other kids learn as well so I guess they have the best of both worlds.

imnotbarbie03
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm really pleased at the number of parents who report going above and beyond their kids' normal school learning.

I really don't know many parents who take the time to make learning opportunites out of the every day. 

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that if we all took advantage of the learning opportunities every day and expanded on them school would not be necessary. We could learn through living and directed learning. 

moneysaver6
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM
No it doesn't. Those who are applying to a 4yr university as a transfer student are evaluated by their college transcripts, not high school.

I don't know of one university who won't consider an 18 yr old with an associates or the credits to earn an associates already under her belt.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

We are not talking about homeschooling (which is essentially school at home), and I am not talking about not being able to get into any college.  Yes, you can go to junior college and transfer to another school, but trust me there are limitations to which schools will accept that particular path.  That was my point..."unschooling" limits a child's options, even more so than a home-school child. 

Quoting moneysaver6:

It's not hard to get into a 4 yr school when you're a homeschooling graduate with an associates (or enough credits to obtain an associates) under your belt. At that point, few universities even ask for a high school transcript or SAT/ACT scores. You're considered as a transfer student.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

I know you can take classes at any community college, but how do you get into a good 4 year school without a transcript of grades and a high school diploma or GED? Without taking the SATs or ACTs?  In effect, how would you get into grad school or medical school?  I am not saying that they cannot be successful, but it definitely limits their options.

Quoting imnotbarbie03:

I really don't understand why you would think this is limiting? Please elaborate. Maybe you're not understanding the concept fully.

Many unschooled kids wind up taking college classes at 14 or 15. Why would this be limiting?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moneysaver6
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Actually, there are ways for homeschooled students (regardless of method) to gain direct entry into a 4yr university. However, few homeschoolers don't already have some college under their belt at high school graduation.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

Again, you are misunderstanding me.  I didn't say that they couldn't, but that it would be more difficult than necessary.  Also, that they would not be able to go directly to a 4 year college.  I have to get off the computer now, but would love to discuss this further (geniunely), so would it be okay if I pmed you later?

Quoting imnotbarbie03:

Please - by all means, tell me a school that does not accept transfer credits?

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

We are not talking about homeschooling (which is essentially school at home), and I am not talking about not being able to get into any college.  Yes, you can go to junior college and transfer to another school, but trust me there are limitations to which schools will accept that particular path.  That was my point..."unschooling" limits a child's options, even more so than a home-school child. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by Jennifer on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Yep. My kids go to school and then we do more when we're home. 

Quoting lovinmama411:

yea, well, my kids learn that shit everyday AFTER school and on weekends...oh, and during summers and breaks....PLUS they are learning traditioinal shit that most other kids learn as well so I guess they have the best of both worlds.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM
3 moms liked this

Wow the narrow mindedness and nastiness to this subject amaze me.  I also had to laugh at all the moms who claim to "do this everyday with their kids"  if that where true so many wouldn't be so far behind.  If brick and mortar schools were the answer the graduation rate wouldn't keep dropping.  If college was the answer to a happy and productive life for all so many of our greatest achievers wouldn't be brick and mortar school drop outs.  The REAL problem is how people are trained and groomed to be employees instead of innovators ....employers and leaders.

I love the concept of unschooling.  I wish they had come up with a better term then MAYBE so many wouldn't be so close minded and actually educate themselves on the principals before making ignorant comments like how its limiting but a one size fits all brick and mortar building isn't LMAO.

My DD is only 3 1/2 but we are already "homeschooling" if you will.  It is of course the reason she is so much further ahead than others her age.  BUT I never sat her down for a "lesson" Everything has been following her direction.  She loves to cook so we work on her math.  At 3 1/2 she is already adding...subtracting and is even working with easy fractions.

She has written her name since 2 and a few months. She can spell 3 letter words and loves to sound writing out .  She will spend an hour going around the house trying to find items that start with the same letter. 

Science OMG I could go on for days about her love of nature and what she knows about all kinds of animals and how they care for their babies and what "special" things they can do. Growing of plants and caring for them. 

All because I follow what interests her.  By letting the child pick the context of what they want to learn you can incorporate the "basic" subjects easily.  IF you bother to.

We haven't totally decided yet if she will be homeschooled or for how long.  She is signed up for a wonderful Charter school BUT honestly not sure if we even want to go there.  I am hoping to find a co-op or something along those lines before its time to officially decide as especially in this day and age and were the world is heading I don't believe brick and mortar schools are the way to go at all.  Having my child sit and wait on the WHOLE class being on the same page???  Now THAT is limiting

moneysaver6
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM
I have never taught my children poop; traditional or not. I have, however, taught them how to speak & write without being crude.

Guess that's just one of the ways my children will suffer from being homeschooled. Poor them. <-----sarcasm

Quoting lovinmama411:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zanny
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I just don't see any good in UnSchooling your kids... In my opinion, it's just setting them up for failure in life...

Do you happen to have any statistics on Adults who were unschooled, the colleges they have attended, and what or where their career paths are now???

cjsix
There are many ups and downs through out a marriage and our lives but,if we fight for what we care about most we can make it and find our hearts home <3
Today at 3:02 AM
by faith on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting militarywife09:

First off kids shouldn't be running around in their underwear all day, and second all you did is teach ONE thing. Big deal.

Third her kids were home sick!

Not only that but,the kids actually came up with multiple ways of looking at things themsleves and she added some more ways to that. So she didn't actually teach one thing she has taught them to be independant, to look at simple things like playing with Legos in a different way and shown them other things which fit with what they were doing to reclarify and add to what they were already finding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)